Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

My new Tahoe turned into a rattle trap in one night?

Old December 17th, 2006, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Tahoe turned into a rattle trap in one night?

Howdy – I’ve been checking this forum out for the past month or so and have found it to be the most informative on the net related to info on the Chevy Tahoe. I recently purchased a new 2007 Tahoe LS and have been driving it for just over 3 weeks now. The Tahoe has been great and is even better than I expected. Except for the lack on interior storage I wouldn’t change a thing about it. I’ve been running E85 for the last couple of tanks and the car works as advertised. I can’t tell any performance differences between the E85 and normal 87 octane gas other than a slight mileage decrease which was expected. I do have one major concern though that has me fairly worried and I’d like to get some opinions from fellow 2007 Tahoe owners. The one thing that was better than I expected is that the Tahoe is much quieter on the inside than I expected. I drive a 2001 Silverado during the week and when I climb into the Hoe on the weekends it’s like driving in a bank vault. No squeaks or rattles which is to be expected with a new car that only has 700 miles on it. Last night my wife and I took a road trip to a nearby town for dinner. On our way back home the car started making strange noises that were easily heard at lower residential speeds. The entire car sounded like it was being hit with large rain drops all over or like I was driving on a gravel road but the noise was not below me it was at ear level and above. I couldn’t really hear the noises at highway speeds but when we got back home I took it around the block and the noises were as prominent as ever and would amplify when I would swerve the vehicle back in forth at lower speeds. I am confident that these noises (which surround you and emanate from all over the vehicle) are not related to a mechanical problem. The car continues to run great. Unfortunately, the car now sounds like a 10 year old car full of squeaks, pops and rattles? I would have to say my Silverado is now quieter inside than the new Tahoe if you discount the regular road noise. It’s like someone flipped the “rattle switch” and the car went from dead silent before dinner to rattle trap after it. I would expect a rattle or two to develop over time but this is quite a bit of interior rattling and it happened all at once? I’ve searched the net and this forum and found 2 or 3 other individuals reporting similar problems with their new Hoe but no one has suggest a solution or appears to have had any real answers from their dealerships. I read a post or two about lubing up all of the weather stripping with silicone and I guess these noise could be generated by the stripping as that would consistent with their location in vehicle but I find it odd that it happened all at once and all over the car – not just one door or area. I’ll be taking it into the dealership tomorrow and documenting this with them so we can begin working on a solution as I will not accept this loud of a car in this price range that is 3 weeks old and did not have any of these noises until last night. I hate to think of what this vehicle will sound like in 2 years at this rate. Has anyone else experienced this with their new Tahoe and if so what has worked for you? Thanks for your time.
Old December 17th, 2006, 4:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My new Tahoe turned into a rattle trap in one night?

Have you checked for M&M's in the front defogger??? Just kidding.

Seriously... take it to the dealer and make sure that they experience it with you present - take the service writer for a ride if need be.

I've seen posts about there being an unsecured screw floating around some trim panels, but never anything in surround sound...

Maybe you're listening to Hailstorm Radio on XM??? Again, just a joke.

If the dealership tells you "It's operating as designed" be afraid. That's what they tell me all the time!!

Good luck and don't forget to post the outcome.

Jeff.
Old December 17th, 2006, 4:41 PM
CF Junior Member

The only consistent rattle I've had was from the headliner, but even that comes and goes. I've noticed that occasionally if the temperature is right, I will hear a rattle or two from the back somewhere, but it's so infrequent that I haven't bothered to chase it.

I'd say take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it.
Old December 17th, 2006, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

i had a similar noise issue that adjmcloon describes only mine was very noticeable. One night while it was occuring my wife climbed back and seemed to isolate it to the headliner area where the rear hatch is. I took it into the dealer this past Thursday and they heard it too while driving at regular speeds on smooth asphalt roads. Interestingly, they fixed it by "re-adjusted, aligned and lubed rear hatch." It was explained to me the read hatch latch commonly is loose from the manufacturer and it lossens more and more as you drive it post-shipping. All I know is my "rattle" noise is gone. I havent had any rattles or noises in the front cockpit area...just that one in the back.
Old December 17th, 2006, 7:26 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF my 3rd row seat is folded up, I get some pretty good sounding screetches! This doesnt happen when they are in the down position.
Old December 17th, 2006, 8:34 PM
CF Active Member

I have several rattles, mine appear to be in the rear air controls in the headliner (LS model)
Old December 19th, 2006, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same thing happen to my new '07 . A squeak , rattle started and seemed to come from everywere. []We finally found it to be coming from the rear light assembly ( on the headliner over 3 rd row seat ). I took the light assembly out and found that GM uses foam pads that have adhesive on both top and bottom of pad to go between the headliner and roof structure. The adhesive had given way ( due to temp ?? ). I put a piece of cloth padding between the roof and foam pads and the noise has stopped completly.
Old December 20th, 2006, 5:20 AM
CF Junior Member

I have an LS with 300 miles on it. At speeds about 40 while accelerating, it started rattle somewhere in the dash.
Today the dealer possibly found the problem after few typical" Can't duplicate problem" answers I took service manager for ride. He heard it.
He took it back to service on the lift and said that they found the fill tube for transmission was to close to the body. They said they readjusted it and when I drove from the dealer I could not hear anything. So hopefully they were right and fixed it. Too bad we have to go through this with brand new vehicles.

Old December 20th, 2006, 8:57 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Probably why Mr. Goodwrench carries that big hammer. They're great for making minor adjustments like that.
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:36 AM
CF Junior Member

I take back what I wrote in the post above, rattle is still there and it's worse then before.
It is coming from the dashboard passenger side close to where the airbag is located.
Anybody had similar problem with Tahoe ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new Tahoe turned into a rattle trap in one night?