Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

MyLink Screen shuts off in the open position - Can we hack it to stay on?

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2019, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation MyLink Screen shuts off in the open position - Can we hack it to stay on?

Hi all,

This is my first post! Yay for me...

Ok, here we go....
I have a 2017 Suburban and when I open the "Secret Vault" and the screen slides up, the screen shuts off and is unusable.
My Father in Law has a 2019 Traverse and he also has the "Secret Vault" but his screen remains on and usable......

My questions is, has anyone been able to "hack" this mechanism so the screen stays on and usable while it's in the open position.
I am 99% sure that all that needs to be done is to locate a contact switch in the slider mechanism and disable it or something like that but I am not willing to start ripping things apart just yet.

So here I am, I am coming to you...the Chevy Community for assistance and guidance

This is the Traverse

This is the Tahoe/Suburban

Hopefully, someone has already figured this out so I don't have to go experimenting and breaking my truck again.....yes I called it a truck and I said again...
Old November 8th, 2019, 6:44 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

I don't think that would be a good idea. Hell, the one thing I don't like about my 2015 Chevy Malibu is that the power ports shut down with the ignition key out.
Old November 22nd, 2019, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

No responses on this thread, I would love some ides? Anyone?
Old November 25th, 2019, 5:14 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
I don't think that would be a good idea. Hell, the one thing I don't like about my 2015 Chevy Malibu is that the power ports shut down with the ignition key out.
Do a little poking around of your fuse panel. Some of the fuses can be moved to an always On position or Ignition On position. Most are defaulted to ignition on.

This is for a Dodge but it is a perfect illustration of what to look for...
Old November 25th, 2019, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

This is great. Just awesome. I love that video it tells me how do you enable my ports on the front of my vehicle to stay on or turn them off with ignition. I was actually looking for this info in another thread...lol.

But that’s not exactly what I was looking for in this thread. What I said was when I open my secret vault or secret compartment in my 2017 suburban the screenshots off and I’m looking for a way to have it stay on and usable when it’s in the open position the same as the Chevy traverse does.

Originally Posted by in2pro
Do a little poking around of your fuse panel. Some of the fuses can be moved to an always On position or Ignition On position. Most are defaulted to ignition on.

This is for a Dodge but it is a perfect illustration of what to look for...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W7oaMAIgxI

Last edited by Sam Fazzina; November 25th, 2019 at 8:43 PM.
Old November 26th, 2019, 9:48 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Fazzina
This is great. Just awesome. I love that video it tells me how do you enable my ports on the front of my vehicle to stay on or turn them off with ignition. I was actually looking for this info in another thread...lol.

But that’s not exactly what I was looking for in this thread. What I said was when I open my secret vault or secret compartment in my 2017 suburban the screenshots off and I’m looking for a way to have it stay on and usable when it’s in the open position the same as the Chevy traverse does.
Yes, I was responding to Oilcans question... As to yours, it's going to take a little exploring, on my Denali I don't have the secret compartment so I can't take mine apart to look.
There are at least 3 possible enable / disable features you will need to look at:
1. Contacts, if the screen has to make contact with contact pins, you're not likely to be able to disable the turn-off feature
2. Mechanical switch, as you previously stated, disable the switch and you are good to go.
3. A reed-switch, witch you will need a small magnet to activate
Basically you'll need to remove your unit to explore what activates/ de-activates

Old October 27th, 2020, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Yes, I was responding to Oilcans question... As to yours, it's going to take a little exploring, on my Denali I don't have the secret compartment so I can't take mine apart to look.
There are at least 3 possible enable / disable features you will need to look at:
1. Contacts, if the screen has to make contact with contact pins, you're not likely to be able to disable the turn-off feature
2. Mechanical switch, as you previously stated, disable the switch and you are good to go.
3. A reed-switch, witch you will need a small magnet to activate
Basically you'll need to remove your unit to explore what activates/ de-activates
Thanks, yep makes sense. I was hoping someone had figured this out already so I wouldn't have to start breaking stuff
Well winter is coming so a little project to keep me busy i guess.

If I figure it out I will post, otherwise, I would love more feedback from anyone who is smarter than I am.
Old December 5th, 2020, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you ever figure it out.

Did you ever figure it out?

QUOTE=Sam Fazzina;455244]Thanks, yep makes sense. I was hoping someone had figured this out already so I wouldn't have to start breaking stuff

If I figure it out I will post, otherwise, I would love more feedback from anyone who is smarter than I am.[/QUOTE]
Old December 5th, 2020, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

nope. I haven’t had a chance to full around with it and also no one has replied in the forum so I have nothing additional to share on this unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Sare3
Did you ever figure it out?

QUOTE=Sam Fazzina;455244]Thanks, yep makes sense. I was hoping someone had figured this out already so I wouldn't have to start breaking stuff

If I figure it out I will post, otherwise, I would love more feedback from anyone who is smarter than I am.
[/QUOTE]

Old December 5th, 2020, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K. I am finishing the buying process on mine and pick it up next week. I'll look at it and see if I can figure it out. It might have a button or switch that gets released when it lifts up. I'll let you know if I can make it happen.

Quick Reply: MyLink Screen shuts off in the open position - Can we hack it to stay on?