Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Nav Radio / Tech 2 programming issue...

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2010, 1:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shawnvw & mirage00,

This seems like the thread to pose my current question as well. It's all along the same lines.

(I'm just going to use the model year for reference and not part numbers.)

My original configuration was the 2007 navigation head unit (I installed; came with the deluxe Bose non-navigation radio), RSE (from the factory), and reverse camera (I installed using the video input on the back of the head-unit and NO reverse camera module under the passenger seat which is basically a voltage converter). I also have the Bose system with the Bose amp and subwoofer. This has been the configuration I've been running for the past 3 years with no problems whatsoever.

This past week I just changed out my 2007 navigation head unit for a 2009 that is NavTraffic capable. (I also have the NavTraffic XM module thanks to mirage00.) XM is up and running, NavTraffic and the navigation itself are all good. What I am missing now are the chimes (I don't even have the prompt anymore in the DIC to control the chime volume level.) My RSE also doesn't show up; no video. How does the changing of the head unit dictate this when the settings are in the VCIM and BCM or is it the culmination of both including the head-unit?

I took it to the dealership to get programmed and the tech told me that when he puts my VIN in the system it just spits out all of the original settings, and that he can't make any changes. Has something changed in the past few years with the programing software in Windows before going to the Tech II? (See attached pictures for example.) I thought you could go in and pretty much "line by line" choose what you have. RSE, Bose with amp, check, reverse camera, check.

What am I missing, but more importantly how can I insure that I get the right programming done on the head unit this coming week? The tech said he had to call GM and ask them questions.

Now a couple of variable questions/information. This is the first time that they're doing any programming since I uninstalled the Bose amp and subwoofer for an aftermarket. Will this pull up any error codes? Will it this hold up the programing all together? Also with the Gen 4 GMLockPick present, but idol, does it allow a pass-through or should I take it out all together before programming?

When I go in on Monday I just want to be able to know what to tell the tech should he not know. He seems pretty knowledgeable and willing, but he also said that he had a problem in the past month with someone else trying to do 2009 upgrades to a 2007.

Appreciate it fellas.
Attached Thumbnails Nav Radio / Tech 2 programming issue...-tis-2000.jpg   Nav Radio / Tech 2 programming issue...-tis-2000-ii.jpg   Nav Radio / Tech 2 programming issue...-tis-2000-iii.jpg  
Old January 1st, 2010, 5:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

Goto this website and put in your VIN. See if you can specify your radio part# and amp configuration. This is the TIS2WEB application I used, not TIS2000 windows app as your images indicate.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 8:46 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I went to the web application and used my better judgment, but I'm still not sure what it is I'm looking at and how it can help me to convey to the tech at the dealership.

I also noticed that it doesn't have any mention of the RSE, and as it is right now, mine isn't working after the radio swap.

Here's what I came up with: (see PDF attachment)

Keep in mind that the radio codes on the service parts ID tag are going to reflect to original radio that came with the truck from the factory, but I have been running the navigation radio from the start.

I got a response online from a GM tech to this question I posed in this thread, and he had this to say: "The 2009 Unit is not going to be recognized by the 2007 BCM. Most components will operate, but the newer 2009 DATA is not compatible with the 2007, so there will be issues & loss of components. Use of Tech 2 may prompt some issues to resolve, but typically it isn't fully compatible."

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Nav Radio / Tech 2 programming issue...-service-parts-id-tag-glovebox.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TIS.pdf (72.5 KB, 937 views)
File Type: pdf
TIS AMP.pdf (54.1 KB, 301 views)