Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

navi install in a non-Bose system

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2008, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default navi install in a non-Bose system

Iknow this topic has been around the block a few times butI haven't seen a solid solution for the installing factory navigation in a non-Bose system. I'm really just looking for guidance and suggestions before partaking in this. Its grown to be much much more complicated that I originally thought. Here is what I have (or is currently on order).

part # 25846421
2007-08 TAHOE SUBURBAN AVALANCHE GM AM FM CD NAVIGATION
this was removed from the original owners vehicle for an aftermarket upgrade

PAC AOEM-GM1416 PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM AMPLIFIER INTERFACE
I ordered this part after reading that it is needed to install an aftermarket amp as the sound would be extremely low without.

PART # 15937320
GM BOSE CADILLAC ESCALADE AMP AMPLIFIER 2007 2008
I ordered this amp after reading that I would have issues with the door chime if went with an aftermarket amp. I later found that this would be considered the lux amp found in the LTZ model and has something to do with the (w/o Y91) option that most people have been instructed to choose during the tech II programming.

part # 15201798
GPS Antenna Electric Navigation

part # none
2008 HUMMER SUBURBAN GM NAVIGATION VSS VOICE HARNESS
A&T Auto on ebay has these and it supposedly is needed for accurate GPS readings

I'm using this site as a basic install guide. I'm assuming that this install was for a Bose system and therefore much simpler than mine would be.
http://reviews.ebay.com/GM-Truck-SUV-navigation-install-guide-Tahoe-Silverado_W0QQugidZ10000000004593584

This site seems to have a wide selection of harnesses and connectors but I can't really tell what is what based on their descriptions
http://catalog.oehq.com/RenderScriptTemplate.epc?_cmd=epccat_VehicleWHD&am p;cookieID=2F60HGHUE2FD0ANDA4&yearid=2007%40%4 02007&makeid=16%40%40CHEVROLET&modelid=341 8%40%40TAHOE&engineid=34241%40%40V8%2D5328cc+5 %2E3L+FLEX%2FFI+Vin+0%40%4034241&keyword=nav&a mp;mode=PA&subcatid=211@@NAVIGATION+SYSTEMS+%2 F+Electronics+A%2FV+and+Mirrors@@3888

Is JPCustoms out of business?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:35 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: navi install in a non-Bose system

If you install a brand new unit that has never been installed in another vechicle before, then the new part number may work without the bose system installed and no other adapters or ampsmay be needed. You shouldn't needany programming at all. But if you try to install a used one, then you would have to have the vin cleared on the used unit at the dealer. Once you plug in the new nav radio, it rememmbers your cars vin number and you can not install it into another vechicle unless you get the radio unlocked at the dealer. And you may have to install the factory or aftermarket amp with the bose adapter. My install when fairly easy but i have the bose. All you can do is try. I would try it first with out installing the amp if you get a new unit, if the sound is too low, then add thePAC AOEM-GM1416 with a aftermarket amp. If you buy the bose adapter, see if you can return it if it dont work out for you.
Old July 27th, 2008, 5:29 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Have you seen this: https://chevroletforum.com/m_5604/tm.htm ?
Old July 27th, 2008, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

rruelas
Thanks for the reply; this is a used head unit. Oddly, the listing on ebay said that it was for non-Bose setups. I thought that all the nav setups were for Bose (maybe this was installed later). When you mentioned the Bose adaptor; is that one the items I have listed already or are you referring to another part?
Old July 27th, 2008, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

73shark
Yeah, i've seen the thread but i didn't see anything that explains why you are supposed to choose the w/o Y91 option during the tech 2 programming. Do you know why this option is recommended? Does it have anything to do with the amp used?
Old July 27th, 2008, 9:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about that Van Damme. I was referring to the the PAC adapter that you mentioned.What I meant was thatwhen you plug in a new unit, it automaticalydetermines what amp youdo have and remembers that. I was thinking that if you plug in a new radio that never been installed, it would determine that you dont have a amp installed and have the outputs of the radio be speaker level outputs instead of preamp outputs.

The y91 option i believe was only availble on the Yukon Denali or the Cadiliac Escalade. The amp is different and one has a center channel.
Old July 28th, 2008, 4:19 PM
CF Junior Member

No, the nav units were only made to be used with an amp. There is no wattage coming from the nav headunit. You will have to install an amp to get any reasonable sound.
Old July 28th, 2008, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

First, thank you VanDamme for starting this thread.

I have a bose system in a 2008 Tahoe LT, and had no trouble installing the Nav unit. Very straight forward, plug and play. I did have to take it to the dealer to get it unlocked $130.

I have two questions:

1. Is this system suppose to have turn-by-turn voice navigation? I only hear the "you have arrived at your destination" at the end of navigation.

2. Is the VSS wire in this post from ebay the right part for our nav units? I have terrible GPS reception, the signal drops in and out quite frequently. I'm hoping if I get this VSS wire it will help improve the signal dramatically.

Thanks for any help,
T.
Old July 28th, 2008, 6:46 PM
CF Junior Member

VanDamme, don't let these other people who do have the Bose fool you. The install in a non-bose tahoe is a lot harder. There is a lot more to do. Mounting the amp, running ground wire, power wire, remote turn-on, and you have to either run homeruns from the amp to each speaker or behind the actual headunit to the speaker outputs. I have the non-bose tahoe and my install still dosen't sound right. Already been to 2 audio shops.

Tasi, yes the ebay VSS wire is the one you need, and it will improve your gps tracking capabilities.
Old July 28th, 2008, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Sonnys007 for such a quick response.

I remember seeing a post with some instructions and a picture, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I did try search, but this forum only returns the general threads and not the specific posts that I'm searching for.

A pointer to the right post, or some instructions would be highly appreciated. I know I'm suppose to tap into a green with white stripe wire near a box down close to the brake pedal, but just want to have some clear instructions before I move forward.

Thanks again Sonnys007, I really appreciate your help,
T.

Quick Reply: navi install in a non-Bose system