Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Navigation Compass Innaccurate- Help!!

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2011, 8:20 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default welding

I've welded. and I've installed stereo equipment...

I've never welded a stereo.

I find the explanation suspect.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I've welded. and I've installed stereo equipment...

I've never welded a stereo.

I find the explanation suspect.
lol, soldering is a word not all are familiar with, so the next best description is welding
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:16 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default welding.

That's welding.

Welding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is soldering

Soldering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, last night I totally welded my computer to the umm, wall. lol

Attached Thumbnails Navigation Compass Innaccurate- Help!!-220px-smaw.welding.af.ncs.jpg  
Old June 12th, 2012, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wondering

Does anyone know of a fix for this problem? I'm having the same issue...
Old June 13th, 2012, 8:27 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> deebo711,

The Navigation Radio may not display the vehicle location icon on the map accurately after a radio or battery has been replaced or after battery power has been removed from the radio.

The Navigation Radio does not keep learned GPS information or gyroscope and vehicle speed signals stored when the battery power is removed from the radio. The Navigation radio continually uses GPS, gyroscope and vehicle speed data to maintain the vehicle location icon positioned accurately on the displayed map.

A compass zone adjustment or calibration may be in order. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for additional information.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

So basically:
I have a 2007 Avy that I just recently installed a GPS unit that I purchased on ebay. It was programmed at the dealership but they said that they weren’t sure if it was fully programmed due to the fact that I did not have the navigation antenna at that time and they weren’t picking up a signal. Since then I installed the antenna and the only problem I’m having is the direction arrow only points to the right (east). The screen does not rotate at all such as when I turn going in different directions. I was told that I may need a VSS wire installed??? If you can shed a little light on this I’d really appreciate it. I have an appointment for my truck at 2:30pm today (6-14-12) for reprogramming at the dealership and to have the VSS wire installed.

deebo711
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> deebo711,

The VSS wire, or Vehicle Speed Sensor wire, is used by the vehicle's cruise control to determine the vehicle's speed - it serves the same function for the car navigation system. The VSS wire sends a series of pulses, anywhere from 800 to just over 1,000 per mile, and sends these pulses only when the car is in motion. If the VSS wire is not hooked up, then the unit will not realize that the car is moving at all, and will be unable to track position.

Having the wire installed may solve your problem. Please keep us posted of the outcome of your dealer visit.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 14th, 2012, 1:10 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Having the antenna hooked up will undoubtedly help also.
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:43 AM
CF Beginner

Well the reprogramming at the dealership did not help at all. However once I finally got the VSS line connected (at MIDNIGHT)the unit worked perfectly.. THE VSS WIRE WAS DEFINITELY THE ANSWER!!!!!

Thanks guys
Old June 15th, 2012, 1:00 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Glad you got it going. Thanks for reporting back. Could help someone else in the future.