Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

NavRadio DSP? supposed to work?

Old December 28th, 2006, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NavRadio DSP? supposed to work?

Hello all, first post here. I've been reading alot and really appreciate all that I've gained about my new '07 Tahoe and Avalanche. Great Forum!

DSP (Digital Signal Processing) according to page 64-65 of the 2007 Navigation radio owners manual is supposed to be selectable on the 'menu sound' screen. Its not on mine..both of them. My avalanche has the CD Nav and my Tahoe has the DVD version, both are factory and have the Bose system. All thats there is a selection for "Talk". Selections for "Driver", "Centerpoint", "Rear" are missing.

I really found the centerpoint DSP useful on my previous vehicles one with the first generation NavRadio, '04 avalanche and '05 Denali. I like XM but find the tone horrible as it comes from the satellite. My previous radios with DSP sound much better than these new ones. From what I can tell, the book says its there...but its not.

Soooo....I called GM. They say its "probably maybe" a misprint in the book. Spoke to a Navigation Radio tech to boot, I mean WTF? Less capable, less refined?

Anyone else have an issue with this?

Old December 28th, 2006, 9:11 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NavRadio DSP? supposed to work?

The Tahoe (if equipped with the optional Bose system) was originally slated to receive the same digital amplifier (with DSP) found in the Denali and so the owners manual went into print with this information.
It was later decided that the Tahoe would receive the analog amp but too late to have the manual reprinted.
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM
CF Active Member

Bummer.......
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

The Tahoe (if equipped with the optional Bose system) was originally slated to receive the same digital amplifier (with DSP) found in the Denali and so the owners manual went into print with this information.
It was later decided that the Tahoe would receive the analog amp but too late to have the manual reprinted.

Well, that explaines it. What is GM doing about this?

Are these the same "Lux" Amps from the GMT-800s? There were alot of people swapping Denali for Tahoe amps, EXT for Avalanche, etc.... Still a possibility?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Alternatively, any way to improve the sound? Really sounds like sheit compared to my '04 Avalanche and '05 Denali.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really thought the Bose system was great in our Tahoes, UNTIL I heard a Ford Shaker 1000 in 2006 mustang this weekend! DAMN, the Bose has nothing on the shaker.

My friend just bought the mustang. He said, hop in and listen to this "factory" stereo. I couldnt believe it.I was so sure it was his old system out of his old 96 mustang, (JL subs) that I bet him $100. We go to the trunk, sure enough. Shaker 1000! They dont take up much space either. Being a friend, he let me keep my $100. You talk about howa factory system should be, YOU HAVE TO HEAR THE FORD SHAKER 1000. I couldnt believe it!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 8:21 PM
CF Addict

Hey biglog (this screen-name makes my cringe every time for some odd reason),
Don't you think that Mustang’s and Tahoe’s just might possibly be marketed to two completely different types of consumers, just maybe? I’ll also bet my left nut that most Mustang buyers aren’t real happy with their factory “Shaker 1000” systems either once the newness wears off.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 9:18 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew you would be the first to respond! I dont think it is an arguement of what is marketed to whom! I think it is the fact that Ford has a superior stereo system to GM, (I dont know, maybe the Camaro has something similar). I have said all along that I think the Bose system is good, when everyone else was asking for more! I just stated that the Shaker 1000 is the best factory system I have ever heard! Just stating a fact Dave!

Sorry if I offended anyone, I love my Tahoe too! I was just shocked when I heard the Shaker 1000, I couldnt believe it was factory.
Old January 4th, 2007, 3:02 PM
CF Addict

You weren't stating a "fact", just your opinion. I personally think that the Shaker 1000 system is an un-natural sounding bottom (bass) heavy, loud, peaky and obnoxious system more suitable for a 16-year-old then a mature adult; but that’s juts my opinion. I’ll take the clean sound of the Bose any day, maybe I’m getting old.
Old January 4th, 2007, 8:22 PM
CF Active Member

I prefer listening to my Bose while cruising down the road in myChevywhile those Ford guys are broke downworking on their cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NavRadio DSP? supposed to work?