Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:16 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Need advice on new Rotors & Pads

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2011, 7:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on new Rotors & Pads

So I've got an 07 suburban that came stock with disc brakes all around the rotors are 13.6 up front and 13 in the rear. I'm about to finally put my 26's on the truck in about two weeks, however before I do that I want to change out the stock rotors and brake pads. Now I'm not talking about doing a Wilwood or Baer brake kit type of deal cause......I ain't got that kinda money. But what I was looking at doing was going with EBC's slot/drilled rotors up front and maybe just some slots in the back along with their green stuff pads. You guys think that will be a good way to go or just do slot/drill rotors all the way around?

Any other brands that I should be looking at besides EBC that offer good factory replacement Rotors and pads?

3DG Slot Rotors

Green Stuff 6000 Pads
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Good thinking on brake upgrade w/ those monster wheels.

I've heard/read rumors of some drilled rotors having cracks that start at the holes. Might be better to get the ones w/ the ball milled grooves.
Old March 24th, 2011, 3:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Good thinking on brake upgrade w/ those monster wheels.

I've heard/read rumors of some drilled rotors having cracks that start at the holes. Might be better to get the ones w/ the ball milled grooves.
Yeah I heard about the drilled rotors having issues too but these are drilled through rotors. They are what is known as dimpled drilled rotors where the drill holes don't go through the rotor. I may just step it down to regular slot rotors however when I went to the parts store (O'Riely's) they have Wagner rotors for around $400 that have lifetime warranty on them. They are just stock OEM replacement rotors (non performance) but they do come in at almost $200 cheaper than going with the EBC's from the same store. Don't know what I should do though.
Old March 24th, 2011, 8:34 PM
Administrator

If you aren't getting a bigger diameter rotor, then not sure why you'd want to change.
Old March 25th, 2011, 6:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
If you aren't getting a bigger diameter rotor, then not sure why you'd want to change.
Like I had said before I'm going from 17's stock rims to 26's custom rims on the truck next week. The current brakes I have on the truck are not good and I can tell just by stopping that my rotors are warped. I want to get rotors and pad on the truck that are good for the extra mass that I'm going to throw at them without warping the rotors. I'm also looking at Power Slot rotors too. They have a better warranty however they only have slotted rotor on no slotted/dimpled rotors.
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:34 PM
CF Active Member

I put Power Slot rotors and Hawk pads on my Burb.
Stops 1000% better with no chatter.
Old March 25th, 2011, 8:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by pervitizm
Like I had said before I'm going from 17's stock rims to 26's custom rims on the truck next week. The current brakes I have on the truck are not good and I can tell just by stopping that my rotors are warped. I want to get rotors and pad on the truck that are good for the extra mass that I'm going to throw at them without warping the rotors. I'm also looking at Power Slot rotors too. They have a better warranty however they only have slotted rotor on no slotted/dimpled rotors.
With those bigger, heavier wheels, you'll need larger rotors to both stop and to keep from overheating and warping the rotors.
Old March 26th, 2011, 6:15 PM
CF Junior Member

If you are looking for increased cooling then slotted rotors will perform better than cross-drilled and they don't have the associated cracking problems. BUT slotted and cross-drilled rotors actually produce longer stopping distances due to the decreased surface area. The reason they "perform" better is that they are better at dissipating heat and therefore don't fade from heat under prolonged braking. Slotted or cross-drilled rotors are usually overkill for a road car as they don't see the constant braking conditions like on a track. If you were coming down a long winding mountain pass they could be beneficial, especially if towing.
Old March 27th, 2011, 6:01 AM
CF Active Member

I also changed out he brake lines to steel braid.
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by pervitizm
......I ain't got that kinda money.
If you are going to spend several thousand on new wheels/tires, why cheap out on the most important safety feature on your vehicle?? You really should look at getting a BBK.

Quick Reply: Need advice on new Rotors & Pads