Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need Advice on Purchase

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2019, 9:02 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Advice on Purchase

Hello Everyone! I am new to the forum and I am hoping to get advice and guidance on a possible purchase of a Tahoe or Suburban. I am looking at used from 2008 to 2011 which seem to fall in the range I can afford. When I say afford I mean purchase outright or small shorter term loan. Mileage for those vehicles that are in that range(15k ish) are anywhere from 131k to 176k. My main concern is should I be worried in purchasing with the mileage levels I am finding. What kind of longevity do the engines, transmission and other items (water pumps, fuel pumps, suspension etc.) have. I dont want to drop that kind of cash only to turn around and pay for a tranny rebuild or an engine swap. I am not looking for perfection mind you I realize they are going to be used and stuff does wear out. A lot of the ones I have looked at appear to be in very good shape even with the higher mileage. It could be window dressing just to sell it or they are truly in as good of shape mechanically as they appear. I would like to just get some input so I can make an informed decision and possibly some negotiating leverage. Is there any thing else to be mindful of? Things to look out for? This vehicle will have to last me quite awhile but I have read that with care these vehicles can last a long time. Thank you and I look forward to the information I receive.
Old January 27th, 2019, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

I just sold my 2008 Yukon XL 5.3L with 268k miles, mostly because it was a play and work car that I sometimes take customers in, and was showing a lot of wear (console leather cracks, seats, door handles, paint chips, cracked window, etc, etc). But engine and transmission were still solid. Never leaked anything. Transmission tight. I never had a major repair. Replaced batteries, alternator, ball joints and stuff like that. Changed oil religiously. I'm very confident that I could have run it to 300k+.
Bought a 2017 Suburban LT 4WD. Its ok, but runs like crap compared to my 2008. (Had it checked out by dealer, "that's just how they run". Eg, idles at 500RPM).

Hope this helps. They're out there, keep looking.
Old January 27th, 2019, 9:08 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Mrs. Cusser has a 2005 Yukon XL Denali (since 2010), now 200K, all wheel drive, 6.0 engine. We had a transmission rebuild ($2K total) done about 150K, not that she does tow horses with this. Replaced radiator (crack in plastic end) last year, water pump, starter, AC compressor (Arizona, used almost year round), brake master cylinder (hydroboost) also have been replaced. Original alternator, several batteries, pretty reliable for its use.

I sold the previous 1994 Suburban in 2010 for $1994 (listed in Craigslist for $1 a year); it had over 200K on it and was 2WD and 5.7 engine, did not tow as well as the 2005 Yukon.

Being in AZ, older vehicles with lower miles can still look like new, so an option here in the southwest. And used SUVs seem to sell for less used than the corresponding pickup trucks which were originally less expensive.
Old January 28th, 2019, 9:26 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just sold my 2009 Tahoe LTZ for $13,000. 151,000 miles. everything worked.
Old January 28th, 2019, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I would stay away from model years 2007 to 2009 with the 5.3L afm engine. Oil consumption issues.
Old January 29th, 2019, 10:47 AM
CF Junior Member

I bought a 2011 2 years ago with 135k miles on it. It looked great. Unfortunately, it had a LOT of issues.
I probably put $5,000 into it in 2 years, and got REALLY tired of paying for repairs before I traded it recently on a 2018. I decided I'd rather pay monthly payments than continue to pay for repairs and have no idea what was going to fail next.

I do think I got a lemon. I loved it while it worked, but I could never tell what was going to go wrong next.
Old January 29th, 2019, 11:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold a 2009 that was plagued with AFM issues. Starting ticking at 50k miles. Was using a half-quart of oil every 500 mi. I believe there are fixes for those issues, but I didn’t research them enough to know until I had already sold it. I read stories about guys sticking new engines in every 40-50k miles because of AFM. That was probably extreme but I didn’t take chances. New engine vs tearing the motor apart down to an oil pickup tube and other misc parts with shop time was comparable to the new engine. Purchased a 2017 and still have a bad feeling this AFM stuff will come back to haunt it. If it does it will be the last Burban I purchase. The Fords are ugly but I can’t be buying new vehicles at this rate. I know I’m not much help, just my experience.