Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2010, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil

Hi all - newb member here.

After reading the following, I'm hoping someone might be able to lend some advice on how to push Chevrolet customer service into helping me under warranty.

I have what appears to be a fairly common problem out there: mysterious oil consumption in the Vortec 5.3 engine on my 2007 Suburban.

The Chev. company line has been "Chevy says its normal and expected for this engine to 'use up / consume' 1 qt oil in 3K miles" I say no way! I started accepting this at around 50K miles, but now we're at the point that 1 qt is gone in 1K miles. No leaks, puddles, etc. Just once in a while a puff of smoke and occasional smell - so it is definately burning slowly.

Latest experience is that we used 2/3 qt. of oil on a 400 mile trip! This has led to additional complications: the "service stability" alert came on several times as we experienced choppy idle. Vehicle was brought in for service where they indicated that there were multiple cylinder mis-firings causing the idle issue as well as a signal to the Stabilitrac system. Their diagnosis: Need $200 spark plug replacement at 78K miles. I refused, so they cleaned them up and problems are all gone for now.

Obviously, a properly tuned vehcile with properly functioning valve seals would not permit oil to seep where it can be burned and carbon-foul the plugs.

My dealer's service department refuses to contact Chevrolet and expects me to do it. So I will ... but I'm hoping others might have been through this and can lend advice for dealing with Chevrolet under warranty?

Any other data available from people who might have gone through this: such as part numbers of warranty repair kits or TSB numbers related to the issue?

Any GM service techs out there with insider information?

Really appreciate any help you can offer!!
Old July 9th, 2010, 1:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I don't have anything to help you with, but I have 81,000 on my 2007 Suburban. It just started using 1 quart of oil every 3,000 miles. I will be interested to see what happens with your situation. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old July 9th, 2010, 1:52 PM
CF Active Member

When you go into a gm dealership saying there is a oil problem and it is using oil. They should start a oil consumption sheet. they will have do the oil changes on it to keep track of things, per gm. after so many times of oil loss that is past the amount they say it ok. then gm will do something. I think it is a joke on there part, all the work and extra stuff you have to do just to have them cover somthing. I have had no problems with 5.3 . They will tell you to make sure the oil change is every 3k , and not to go by the dic. good luck and keep us posted on what happens and how things work out.
Old July 9th, 2010, 3:27 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

stevetro1: Welcome to the forum.

Thought GM states that plugs were a 100K replacement item. Did they explain how the dirty plugs caused the "Service Stability" message?

Doesn't sound like your service dept. is very friendly. Might try another one if available.
Old July 9th, 2010, 7:20 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 quart per 3000 miles is considered normal by every manufacture even if they all do not do it. No matter how much you push them they will not do anything about it unless it is using more.You have two other options #1 find a shop that has the newest BG oil flush machine, I have seen it stop many lifter taps and oil burning problems. #2 push them to put you on a oil consumption test then you take some extra oil out in between checks.
Old July 9th, 2010, 7:22 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.: 07-06-01-007F

Date: December 10, 2009

Subject: Excessive Engine Oil Consumption (Verify Condition, Inspect Valve Stems, Replace Cylinder Heads if Necessary)

Models:
2006-2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe
2006-2007 GMC Sierra Classic, Yukon, Yukon XL
Equipped with 4.8L or 5.3L V8 Engine RPOs LR4, LM7, L59
Please Refer to GMVIS

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to remove the reference in Step 6 to servicing the complete cylinder head as an assembly. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-01-007E (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on excessive engine oil consumption. The rate of oil consumption described may usually be around 0.946 liter (1 quart) of engine oil in 805 to 1125 km (500 to 700 mi). This usually occurs on low mileage engines.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a nick in one or more valve stems.

Correction

Important
If one or more damaged valve stems are identified in one head, BOTH heads MUST be replaced.

1. Complete the current SI diagnosis for any symptoms found. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011F for Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines.
2. If excessive oil consumption has been verified, all of the valve stems need to be inspected for damage. One or more of the valve stems may be nicked.
3. After removing the valve cover, all of the rocker arms need to be loosened to assure the valves are closed.

4. Depending on the location, it is possible to see a nicked valve stem through the valve spring coil (a mirror and flashlight will be required). In some cases the valve spring may need to be removed. Examples of a nicked valve stem are shown above.
5. A valve stem nick can occur in any 360 degree area due to valve rotation, so each valve stem must be examined carefully.
6. If the engine oil consumption is excessive, and one or more nicked valve stems have been found, the cylinder heads will need to be replaced.
Refer to Cylinder Head Replacement - Left Side and Cylinder Head Replacement - Right Side in SI.

Warranty Information
Old July 9th, 2010, 9:47 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

My 07 5.3 has 45,000 miles on it, and uses no appreciable amount of oil.
I just returned from a 5k mile trip doing some towing and was really surprised that again no appreciable amount of oil was used.

I have on occasion but not consistently heard a cold start clack from the lifters that clears up as soon as oil gets to the top of the engine, something I would consider very normal.

The dealer does all of my oil changes and I go by the OLMS, use Mobil-1 from day one and get about 7-8k miles between oil changes....

On my 97 Tahoe with the 5.7 a long trip at highway speeds would consume about 1/3 quart.
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks MDTAHOE, that's exactly the kind of knowledge I want to have in my back pocket! Is "07-06-01-007F" the internal bulletin number?

I've started the ball rolling with the call to Chevrolet, but I'll be waiting for the 1 business day return call they promised.

No one I talked to there has yet to mention an oil consumption chart, also good information.

Thanks guys!
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

73shark:

The plugs are a 100K item, but in my case since they were prematurely, somewhat carbon fouled, the engine was recording misses. These misses caused the rough idle we felt and also was sending the stability system signals about torque changes. My service sheet from the dealer says:

" code stored for torque reduction in brake control module also code stored for engine miss fire, fuel injectors ok check and clean misfire cylinder plugs. no more misfires detected at this time"

Last edited by stevetro1; July 9th, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old July 9th, 2010, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

MDTahoe:

Any chance of getting this posted:

"Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011F for Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines. "

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil