Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil

Old July 10th, 2010, 9:21 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-011E

Date: December 18, 2008

Subject:
Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines

Models:
1998-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Gasoline Powered Light Duty Trucks Under 8500 LB GVW (Including Saturn)

2003-2009 HUMMER H2
2006-2009 HUMMER H3
2005-2009 Saab 9-7X

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011D (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

All engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. As a result, varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines.

Oil Consumption

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Important: Certain models have a new GM Extended Warranty. Please refer to the appropriate Owner's Manual for warranty information.

This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.

Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.

Many factors can affect a customer's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.

Gasket and External Leaks

Inspect the oil pan and engine covers for leakage due to over-tightened, damaged, or out of place gaskets. Inspect oil lines and fittings for signs of leakage.

Improper Reading of the Oil Level Indicator (Dipstick)

Verify that the dipstick tube is fully seated in the block. When checking the oil level, make sure the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube. The dipstick should be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked.

Notice: Operating your vehicle with an oil level that is below the minimum level indicated on the engine oil dipstick can result in severe engine damage. Repairs resulting from operating an engine with insufficient oil are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Important: Refer to Owner Manual in SI for checking and adding engine oil.

Not Waiting Long Enough After Running Engine to Check Oil Level

Some engines require more time than others for the oil to drain back into the crankcase. To assure a sufficient amount of oil has drained back to the crankcase, and an accurate reading can be obtained, the vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading. In order to ensure accurate results, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the last time the oil level was checked.

Important: This does not apply to some Corvette ZO6 equipped with the 7.0L LS7 engine (dry sump). Follow the instructions in the Owner's Manual for checking the oil in this application.

Improper Oil Fill After an Oil Change

Following an oil change, verify that the proper amount and type of oil was put in the engine and that the oil level on the dipstick is not above the full mark or below the add marks. Refer to the Owner's Manual or Service Manual for information on recommended oil quantity, viscosity, and quality.

Aggressive Driving, High Speed or High RPM Driving

Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds/high RPMs will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected.

A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven aggressively. By "aggressive," we mean operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This characteristic does, however, require the owner to check the engine oil level at sufficiently frequent intervals, especially when driving aggressively, to assure the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. As the Owner's Manual recommends, you should check the oil level every time you get fuel.

Towing or Heavy Usage

Towing a trailer will increase oil consumption and may cause oil consumption to fall below the normal accepted rate referenced in this bulletin for an unloaded vehicle in a personal use application. Large frontal area trailers will further increase the work required from the engine, especially at highway speeds, and thus increases the rate of oil consumption.

Crankcase Ventilation System

Verify that the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is operating properly. Blockages, restrictions, or damage to the PCV system can result in increased oil use.

Oil Dilution (Fuel and Water)

On vehicles that are usually driven short distances, less than 8 km (5 mi), especially in colder weather, unburned fuel and condensation generated from cold engine operation may not get hot enough to evaporate out of the oil. When this occurs, the dipstick may indicate that the oil level is over-full. Subsequent driving on a trip of sufficient length to enable normal engine operating temperature for 30 minutes or more, in order to vaporize excess moisture and fuel, may give the customer the impression of excessive oil consumption.

Engine Temperature

If an engine is run at overheated temperatures (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual) for more than brief periods, oil will oxidize at a faster than normal rate. In addition, gaskets may distort, piston rings may stick, and excessive wear may result. Verify that all cooling system components are in proper working order.

Engine Wear

Piston scuffing, excessive piston-to-wall clearance, tapered or out of round cylinders, worn, damaged or improperly installed valve guides, seals and piston rings will all cause an increase in oil consumption.

Measurement of Oil Consumption

Engines require a period of time to BREAK IN so that moving parts are properly seated. Therefore, oil economy should not be tested until the vehicle has accumulated at least 6400 km (4000 mi). An exception would be allowed only if an engine is reported to be using more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 1600 km (1000 mi).

1. Verify that the engine has no external leaks. Repair as necessary.

2. Verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual).

3. Park the vehicle on a level surface.

4. Wait at least 15 minutes, after the engine is shut off, before checking the oil level to make sure that the oil has had time to drain back into the crankcase.

5. Verify that the oil level is at, but not above, the full mark on the dipstick, and that the proper viscosity and quality oil are being used as recommended in the Owner's Manual.

6. Record the vehicle mileage, date, and exact oil level on the form shown above.

7. Ask the customer to verify the oil level, each time the vehicle is fueled, following steps 16 and return the vehicle to the dealership if the oil level is found at or below the add mark, 0.946 liter (1 qt) low. If the oil level remains above the add mark, the customer should continue to operate the vehicle and verify the engine oil level until 3200 km (2000 mi) has accumulated before returning to the dealership for a final evaluation.

8. If the final evaluation shows that the engine uses more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), follow the published symptom diagnostics as described in the appropriate Service Manual. If the oil consumption test shows that the engine uses less than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), explain to the customer that their engine meets the guidelines for oil consumption.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil fix supposed to be this month

I have a 2007 Avalanche with 27,000 kilometres that has started buring 1 - 2 litres of oil every 600-800 kilometres. GM dealership told me that a fix should be ready within 3 - 4 weeks and it is warrantied.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 3:42 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Let's know what the fix is and how it works.
Old August 9th, 2010, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Oil usage in 5.3 and 6.0l engine fix.

The problem is actually the PCV valve. I replaced mine with a new one that doesn't have the little ball in it. There is just a hole in it and it works fine. I do not know how this fixed the problem but it did. Hope this helps anyone out.
Old October 25th, 2010, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default Oil Burning

Originally Posted by mattski
The problem is actually the PCV valve. I replaced mine with a new one that doesn't have the little ball in it. There is just a hole in it and it works fine. I do not know how this fixed the problem but it did. Hope this helps anyone out.

I just bought a "CERTIFIED" GM and its been in the shop 6 times in a month and a half one of the major problems is burning oil... 1st time they relaced valve cover and PCV valve now they are telling me I need new lifters why??? I have no smoke coming out my exhaust no noise just losing about 1qt every 200-400 miles and I only have 40k on my truck anybody have some good experience with this please help beacuse I dont think putting new lifters in will help also I dont want my motor ripped apart 10 times!!!! is there a recall on lifters why would it cause oil consumption someone please help me understand better every mechanic I talk to says it dosnt make sense?? does it??
Old October 25th, 2010, 8:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it has a valve seal problem to me. I am with the others does not make sense to me either.
Old October 25th, 2010, 8:51 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

I'd be real interested in how lifters can cause oil consumption.
Old December 9th, 2010, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
1 quart per 3000 miles is considered normal by every manufacture even if they all do not do it. No matter how much you push them they will not do anything about it unless it is using more.You have two other options #1 find a shop that has the newest BG oil flush machine, I have seen it stop many lifter taps and oil burning problems. #2 push them to put you on a oil consumption test then you take some extra oil out in between checks.
Thanks, that'll make it difficult for us with legitimate problems to get any credibility after GM read this.
Old December 11th, 2010, 9:53 PM
Administrator

And what makes you think GM reads this?

I remember when the big block engine first came out in Corvettes, you had to be using more than one qt every 500 miles to get warranty relief.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default Oil consumption issues in 2007 Suburban and similar

We purchased our 2007 Chevy Suburban new in late December 2006. We put a lot of miles on vehicle -- about 35K/year; mostly highway. Have been experiencing excessive oil consumption since just under 60,000 miles. Took it to dealer on several ocassions with no resolution (oil consumption test was performed, but nothing "abnormal" came from this). We are at almost 147,000 miles now and just this past week, began to experience similar problems as you have described --engine is severely misfiring and stabilitrac light has been coming on. Took it to out of town dealer (we were on vacation) who stated that there was a TSB issued in September covering our vehicle that had to do with this issue and that some type of engine decarbonization process is needed. Stated that oil had fouled out one of the spark plugs completely. We were not out of town long enough to have the problem fixed by them, so we are starting in with our local dealer again tomorrow on this. Also, started a case with GM customer service -- 1.866.790.5600. They are saying that most likely, the work to be performed under this TSB will be covered b/c we started reporting problems within warranty period, but awaiting final word tomorrow on this. The cost of the process is estimated at $1,200. I do not have the TSB number referred to by dealer we were visiting as that has been passed back to our home dealer, but if I can get it, I will try to pass along.

I have noticed that MD Tahoe has the real technical insights here -- any word you can provide on this September 2010 TSB?

Also, I read a posting on this at a public site where the poster indicated that this is not a PCV issue, but instead has to do with oil gumming up and then accumulating in cylinders that aren't firing (engine designed to only fire on limited cylinders to save fuel) and only way to fix is to decarbonize and use 100% synthetic oil in future. This makes sense b/c our oil consumption has never seemed to be a loss of oil outside of engine (nothing in engine campartment, no staining in garage, no smoke out of tailpipe, etc.). Sounds like this is a problem that thousands are dealing with.

Last edited by ky07suburbanowner; January 2nd, 2011 at 8:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil