Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2012, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban 2007 with 88,000 miles oil consumption blue smoke on start up

jtstoner: I would like an up date on your Burb, mine is not doing well at 88K <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
My first Suburban was a 2000, 2<SUP>nd</SUP> was a 2004 Z71, and the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> is a 2007 LTZ. My 2004 has 86,000 miles, and I have not had any problems. We still have it. The 2007 was bought in May 2006, and I’m afraid it’s the worst ever. It has used oil, a lot more than the 2000 and 2004. Oil light comes on, I change the oil! 88,000 miles and now out of warranty! The five years got me. I am affiliated with a very large automobile repair facility in Reno, Nevada, and I’ve had the car serviced regularly. That’s what you do when you work in a garage. <o></o>
The last few mornings I noticed a puff of smoke out the tail pipe which is not good, I am told. So I asked my mechanic what is the worst case. He tell me “rings” or valve guides, about 6-8 hours shop time plus parts. But if it’s rings, he tells me to shop for a short block crate motor from GM. The engine rebuild will be expensive. My mechanic has not mentioned (as I read in certain forum responses) that there is an oil consumption test. Does anyone have any information on the notices or bulletins that may be circulating?<o></o>
So I ask Chevrolet Suburban owners the question, “Is 88,000 miles all we can get from the 2007 and newer Suburbans?”<o></o>

Originally Posted by jtstoner
I don't have anything to help you with, but I have 81,000 on my 2007 Suburban. It just started using 1 quart of oil every 3,000 miles. I will be interested to see what happens with your situation. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old January 16th, 2012, 5:27 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Dexter Baker,

I have researched my resources and have found no known oil consumption issues with 2007 Suburban vehicles. You stated you asked your mechanic for the worse case scenario, however, were you able to have the vehicle diagnosed? If so, what was the outcome?

Keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 16th, 2012, 8:18 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

What about the issue documented in Post #6?
Old January 17th, 2012, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
So before you switched to synthetic, how long between changes and was there any usage evident?

3000 Miles between changes and no evidence of oil consumption. This may be a stupid question but I would like to verify. My GF was told that once we switched to synthetic that if we switched back to regular that we would start seeing leaks? Anyone know anything about this?

On a side note: I called our GM dealer a few days ago and checked our warranty. He said it expires on 3-21-12. He explained that we needed to start a oil consumption chart with a new oil change at the dealership. I asked what would happen if this test went beyone the warranty period. (he said they needed to verify 3 times) He said he could not guarantee anything but sometimes GM helps? HELPS? This is a problem the car has now, not developed after warranty ends. Im getting frustrated!! Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!!
Old January 17th, 2012, 2:24 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 73shark,

The Bulletin that was posted in #6 has been cancelled. If a similar condition occurs, please see your dealer for additional information.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 2nd, 2012, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 10-06-01-008B

Date: March 07, 2011

Subject: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder)

Models:
2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2009 GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL
2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Equipped with Aluminum Block V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (RPOs LC9, LH6, L76, LFA, L92)
with Greater than 45,000 km (28,000 mi)

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year and new Correction information for the 2009 model year - left rocker arm cover replacement. Information has also been added after step 9. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-008A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000 mi). Verify that the induction system is assembled correctly and that there is no evidence that the engine has been ingesting dirty air due to a mis-assembled induction system. Also verify that the PCV system is functioning properly. If diagnostic procedures indicate that oil consumption is piston/piston ring related, verify that oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart. If these conditions are met and oil consumption is less than 3,000 km (2,000 mi) per liter/quart, perform the service indicated in this bulletin.

Cause

This condition may be caused by oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption.

Correction

2009 Vehicles Only

Important
This left rocker arm cover is NOT to be used on 2007-2008 vehicles because of the calibration of the PCV orifice being different in 2007-2008.

A new left rocker arm cover has been released for 2009 engines. Technicians should replace the left rocker arm cover with GM P/N 12642655. This rocker arm cover has relocated PCV drain holes that prevents PCV pullover into the intake manifold. Refer to SI for Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Left Side.

2008-2007 Vehicles Only

To correct this condition, perform the piston cleaning procedure as described in this document, and install a shield over the AFM pressure relief valve per the procedure outlined in this document. Monitor oil consumption after this repair to ensure oil consumption has improved to acceptable levels. If this repair does not correct the condition, it may be necessary to replace the piston assemblies (piston and rings) with new parts.

Important
It is critical in this cleaning process that the engine/fuel injector cleaner remain in the cylinders for a minimum of 2.5 hours to fully clean the components. The cleaner solution must be removed before a maximum of three hours.

1. Verify the oil consumption concern following Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011F. If oil consumption is found, continue on with this bulletin.
2. Remove the spark plugs and ensure that none of the pistons are at top dead center (TDC).
3. Clean the pistons by putting 118-147 ml (4-5 oz) of Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, GM P/N 88861802 (in Canada, use 88861804), in each cylinder. Allow the material to soak for at least 2.5-3.0 hours, but no more than three hours and then remove the cleaner. A suggested method of removing the cleaner is cranking engine over. Make sure to unplug the ignition coils and fuel injector before cranking the engine over. Also make sure that the painted surfaces are covered so no damage is done.
4. Remove the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Replacement in SI.

6. Install the new shield (1), GM P/N 12639759, and tighten the AFM valve to the oil pan to 28 Nm (20 lb ft).

Important
Ensure that the engine cleaner is thoroughly removed before reinstalling the spark plugs. Failure to do so may result in a hydro-lock condition.

7. Reinstall the spark plugs. Replace the spark plugs if necessary due to full of carbon. Refer to the parts catalog.
8. Reinstall the oil pan. Refer to the Oil Pan Installation procedure in SI. Replace the oil pan gasket if necessary. Refer to the parts catalog. Replace the engine oil if necessary.
9. Re-evaluate the oil consumption. Document on the repair order. If the oil consumption is still greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi), replacement of the pistons and rings will be required.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 2:49 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nice

I love how the internet allows us to share all this great information.

it's just... great.

that and I'll never buy GM again just makes my day.
If I can talk to just one person a day and explain the issues I've had with my Tahoe, it's been a good day.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I love how the internet allows us to share all this great information.

it's just... great.

that and I'll never buy GM again just makes my day.
If I can talk to just one person a day and explain the issues I've had with my Tahoe, it's been a good day.
I had the same oil consumption issue with my '07 suburban ltz. It seemed very odd to add a couple quarts of oil to it between 3k oil changes. Never had a vehicle that new go through so much oil.

With all of the other expensive failures that were all out of warranty for the truck, I unloaded it and bought a Hyundai. I grew tired of paying thousands of dollars for sensors that went bad constantly, odd failures of electronic components such as rear tailgate not opening, lights on turn signal mirrors working/ then not/ then working again on their own. Rear view camera was mostly static. Loud pops every so often from the Bose sound system.

The final straw was when it just shut down on my wife one night as she was driving home. A wheel sensor failed and caused a low power mode that shut down the truck for 15 minutes.She came to a halt immediately on the road. Like turning off the ignition. That just does'nt seem safe to me. Im just thankful she wasn't on the expressway when it happened.

There were several other issues with the vehicle that cost me thousands of dollars to repair. It's a shame because it was a very comfortable vehicle to take all of my family in on trips, but I could'nt trust its reliability and it just cost to much money to fix all of the inherent faults that would just pop up.

It was our money pit.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 8:25 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GM quality

yea I hate my Tahoe with a passion. was back to the dealer 20+ times, squeeks rattles like a 1940s ford pinto.

Bluetooth barely works, dash quality / plastic quality is better at lowes on most wheel-barrows.

20" wheels are yellowing called "normal" by dealer. I plan to yell and scream at 55k miles (5k before warranty is up) until they are replaced with brand new ones.

Sat nav is a joke. hell the whole thing is a joke $56,000 later and I'm just left with misery.

I tell anyone and everyone I can. RUN from GM.

I test drove a Raptor, Edge, and Explorer at the PA auto show. WOW. loved the explorer, so comfy. so high tech. Not a single rattle, shake or noise from the car. it moved too for a 3.5L.

and the tech! wow.

tows 5k, so it's close, but it could replace my CraPoH.

GM's even cut me checks to say "sorry we built ****" to the tune of over $3,000... but that didn't fix the stuff wrong with it, or make me happy. I'd be happy for a $50k check and to give it back to them. say, here, I made a mistake believe in your $hitty brand. I will spend the next 40 years of my life doing anything and everything I can to make sure no one I know buys GM.

I hope it was worth it. Letting so much crap come off the ***-embly. line.
Old March 1st, 2012, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

**Update from original poster **

Its been a while since I was on this forum so I'd like to post a conclusion to this issue. The Active Fuel Management (AFM) bulletin posted in this thread was suggested by the dealer and applied. It made no difference to oil consumption.

We continued with the oil consumption monitoring and things continued to get worse to point where 1 qt of oil was consumed in 800 miles. The dealer then got approval from corporate to tear down the motor and inspect. They found out of round cylinders, bad rings, etc. They documented all this for GM and approval was eventually given to swap in a new motor under warranty. Its now 29K miles later and things are excellent - I can go 6K miles on semi-synthetic and keep a full dipstick.

I just pays to keep a cool head and be persistent with the dealer and play along; but just so long as you keep the miles under 100K!

Bad news now is that the same vehicle is having transmission issues "out of warranty" - I guess they burned me in the end anyhow.

Quick Reply: Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil