Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2012, 9:00 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I didn't have my first oil change until the OLMS told me too, and at that time I changed from dino that the vehicle came with to M1, and have ran it ever since.
I have never had to add oil between oil changes under normal daily driving.

I have had to add half to three quarters of a quart after long extended drive round trips (1000+ miles) that included towing and mountainous terrain, and extended time at highway speeds 65+ for 3+ hours. But I consider that VERY normal.

Maybe I just got real lucky and got one of the better build Trucks ( Made in Arlington Texas )

Might be interesting to see where the ones that have the consumption issues were built...
Attached Thumbnails Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil-arlington.jpg  
Old April 4th, 2012, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was also built in Arlington, Texas. I have the same sticker on the inside of my door. Obviously has nothing to do with it.

Again, coming from my old 2000 Sierra that used 0 oil in any condition, maybe my expectations are too high. I've owned vehicles that have burned oil in the past but they all were high mileage and the oil burning was because of leaking valve seals and wear. The only engine I want to own that burns oil is a 2 stroke.

73shark hit the nail on the head. I have always heard and been told to change the oild an filter at 500 miles to get rid of and machining debris or grit left over from the mnaufacturing process. All motorcycle manufactures tell you to do that, at least in the cruiser world.

Last edited by jnaumuk; April 4th, 2012 at 8:07 AM.
Old June 7th, 2012, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default HELP plz

I have been a die hard chevrolet guy and have had 3 trucks and was very pleased and told everyone about it and always keep it meticulously cleaned and maintained...
BUT this oil consumption and a couple other things are killing me.
I have a 2007 z-71 4x4 avalanche Fully loaded (except power boards and block heater i think) with just about every bell and whistle you can get.. was over $50K when new. I have had a few issues and the dealership was always nice and repaired them..
Except a couple things.
1- the CV joints/boots ripped and spewed grease all over my brakes and now it sounds like its metal to metal on a city bus when I stop. Also both were fixed under warranty, but have both been done twice I think. And one is spewing grease all over the wheel/brakes/fender again. Shouldnt dealer replace the rotors so they dont sound so terrible and fix it correctly eventually.

But most importantly
2- OIL CONSUMPTION
It is burning MORE THAN A QUART ever 1,000 miles
Also I change my oil at about 3,000 +/- 100.
It started before my warranty was up, and the truck only had 65K miles when they started using this "oil economy test -- data sheet"
I have driven 1,300 miles and the add engine oil indicator is now on...

I have 5 cousins who all have chevrolet trucks now and I think that I have had a lot to do with thier choice to go chevy. I also have an insurance company and am very active in the community and really hope you can help restore my belief in chevrolet and the way they handle issues

My service advisor seems to imply that I am over reacting...

Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Peter
Old June 8th, 2012, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update

Took it back to Chevy a couple weeks ago and they agreed that it was drinking oil. Funny thing was it consumed all of the oil in the 1sk 1k miles during the study, last 1k miles it didn't consume any. Same driving conditions. They performed all of the service bulletins on the vehicle and so far it has been fine. The day after I got my vehicle back they called for a customer satisfaction survey, I told them to call me back in a couple months when I have some mileage on the vehicle to see if they have fixed the problem. 5 days later the dealership calls me and asks why I didn't fill out the survey so I explained to them that I would after I'm sure the problem is fixed. They assured me that they would stand behind this problem and I should have no worries on if they were going to fix it. I told them thanks but I'll wait to see the results first. So far so good though.
Old June 8th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jnaumuk,

Thank you for sharing your update and dealer experience. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 11th, 2012, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Checked the oil level yesterday, close to 2k miles since the service bulletins were performed at the dealership, oil level does not look like it has moved at all. As long as something crazy doesn't happen I'm going to assume that it's fixed. I hope it is fixed, I didn't shell out what I consider to be big money to have a 3 year old vehicle that burns oil.
Old March 25th, 2013, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Are you using the 5W-30 oil, or have you moved up to the 10W-30 due to the mileage?
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Suburban and it started burning oil around 80K I'm at 150K now and we burn closer to 3 qt per 3,000 miles now. I changed the plugs and wires, on advice from Auto Zone, after noticing that my check engine light was on and the faults indicated running lean in 4 cylinders. This didn't help. I'm still burning oil and now my stabilitrak disabled warning keeps coming on during short and/or long trips. The whole vehicle seems to lurch when the message appears.
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluntach
I have a 2007 Suburban and it started burning oil around 80K I'm at 150K now and we burn closer to 3 qt per 3,000 miles now. I changed the plugs and wires, on advice from Auto Zone, after noticing that my check engine light was on and the faults indicated running lean in 4 cylinders. This didn't help. I'm still burning oil and now my stabilitrak disabled warning keeps coming on during short and/or long trips. The whole vehicle seems to lurch when the message appears.
Welcome to the forum...

Something to consider is having the PCV serviced as there have been some issues with the crank case ventilation system causing oil consumption....
Old December 10th, 2013, 12:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default UPDATE--MOTER NEEDS ANOTHER REBUILD 18k MILES AFTER LAST ONE.

UPDATE---
I wish I had kept up with documenting this issue.
I thought it was all being taken care of by the local dealer and that it was all fixed... Seems to have just been a band aid.

Local dealer did...
75257 cure:disassemble engine and replace all Pistons and Rings,
Reassemble, Fill engine oil and coolant and install baffle in oil pan.
They Also - Redid the drivers side outer cv - Boot Kit repair.
This was at 75263 miles.. on the 2ND of JULY 2012

At the next oil change the oil was over a quart low again after 3000 miles.
I advised the dealer about this and they said maybe it wasn't filled to top line or something when I took it. advised to see how it is on next change, and that it should be fine because everything was fixed.
-Next oil change was again over a quart low, but it was burning less oil definitely, and it also was a sudden jump from 11 miles per gallon to about 13.5 which was nice.
-So I was on the oil consumption tracker again. I took it in at 85399 for oil change and they forgot to check the level. I asked if I needed to take it to them for the oil changes and checks and they said any licensed shop can do it. So started going to different shop.
-at about 93,000 miles ON THE 25TH OF NOVEMBER 2013
stabilitrac error came up and the truck would lurch forward, also a noisy knocking started. But no check engine light yet. I immediately checked oil (20 minutes after turning it off), it was down about 1/2 a quart (i just did oil change about 400 miles ago) I added what was needed to bring it to middle mark. I drove it around the block and the check engine light started blinking..
I took it to the O'Rielly parts store a couple blocks from my house and they said the code was P0304 = cylinder 4 misfire detected. I went to my mechanic who pulled the plugs and they all read very different
from back to front
drivers side 1-cylinder 7 very burnt bad
2-cylinder 5 slightly burnt
3-cylinder 3 normal
4-cylinder 1 normal
passengers side 1-cylinder 8 burnt a little
2-cylinder 6 lean/normal
3-cylinder 4 very burnt bad
4-cylinder 2 slightly burnt
Put new plugs and wires, also switch coil to eliminate that as well.
There is still obvious valve sticking or cam lifter gone or something bad.
I took it in to dealer ON 26 OF NOVEMBER 2013 and they had me agree i would pay $80 to have them try again to see whats wrong..
Then they asked for ok to pay $600 to tear it down to see what was wrong. How many times do you get to keep not fixing it before you decide to replace it? How many days am I with out my truck with no loaner? How long would you be so understanding?
Now they are saying its going to be $3,500-5,900 for a rebuild and they are not sure if GM will still cover now that its out of warranty so I am waiting for GM to respond about what they will do.
They said that the cam is bad and maybe some other stuff too. Obviously stuff breaks and goes bad when it doesn't get oiled.
I have been doing everything I am supposed to. I am a die hard Chevrolet fan.. BUT i am about see my Lawyer to see if he can be of any help in the negotiations..

Originally Posted by petergunz11
I have been a die hard chevrolet guy and have had 3 trucks and was very pleased and told everyone about it and always keep it meticulously cleaned and maintained...
BUT this oil consumption and a couple other things are killing me.
I have a 2007 z-71 4x4 avalanche Fully loaded (except power boards and block heater i think) with just about every bell and whistle you can get.. was over $50K when new. I have had a few issues and the dealership was always nice and repaired them..
Except a couple things.
1- the CV joints/boots ripped and spewed grease all over my brakes and now it sounds like its metal to metal on a city bus when I stop. Also both were fixed under warranty, but have both been done twice I think. And one is spewing grease all over the wheel/brakes/fender again. Shouldn't dealer replace the rotors so they don't sound so terrible and fix it correctly eventually.

But most importantly
2- OIL CONSUMPTION
It is burning MORE THAN A QUART ever 1,000 miles
Also I change my oil at about 3,000 +/- 100.
It started before my warranty was up, and the truck only had 65K miles when they started using this "oil economy test -- data sheet"
I have driven 1,300 miles and the add engine oil indicator is now on...

I have 5 cousins who all have chevrolet trucks now and I think that I have had a lot to do with thier choice to go chevy. I also have an insurance company and am very active in the community and really hope you can help restore my belief in chevrolet and the way they handle issues

My service advisor seems to imply that I am over reacting...

Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Peter

Quick Reply: Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil