Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need Help with Front End Noise -

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2008, 9:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Front End Noise -

Hi everyone,
I need help with a issue that im having with my 01' suburban.The problem is that when i drive im having a metalic type noise in the front end somewhere but not sure what it is ,and i was thinking maybe the hub bearings are goin out on her.This noise sounds like tin-foil rubbing while driving but not in park with engine on.I have lifted the burban and checked under neath for anything being caught up in wheel area or under engine but have found nothing.please if you have information that might be useful write me back or reply to this thread ok.
Thanks a million,
Flawdafred56ace

[IMG]local://upfiles/8968/E0E0717D1FB945A0B5AAB297C0C2B7B0.gif[/IMG]
Old January 22nd, 2008, 9:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Need Help with Front End Noise -

It's not the brakes is it? Do you notice it when you apply the brakes? Or maybe it stops when you apply the brakes? Not to be too basic but it's not your wear indicator on your pads is it?
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Need Help with Front End Noise -

no it wasnt the brake,i come to find it was the hub bearing unit got destryoed and cuases me to break my axle and ripped my abs sensor and bent my spindle for the front.i have since replaced all parts now with upgraded versions and the truck is running better then ever.but i did have a problem with my front axle cuz they r not exactly like my eoms they come with a copper ring which mine didnt and they made a lil noise so i just removed today and everything is good as new. only issue im having now is the abs light stays on but i have to have it reprogrammed since there was a issue with abs due to the hub and sensor being destroyed on it .ill fill u in later ok.
Old February 28th, 2009, 6:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Well it's funny that it ended up being the hub. Turns out my hub bearings were bad too. I found out by accident though. The upper ball joints were shot so as I was replacing them my knee hit the hub when I had the front tore apart. I noticed the hub "jiggle" when my knee hit it. Sure enough, the bearing was shot. Pricey little bastard$! The bearing is not serviceable and as you mentioned the ABS sensor is part of the assembly as well. I went ahead and bought two new ones just to be safe.

My front end should be good for another 100k miles. It sucks yours came apart and destroyed stuff. I guess I got lucky.