Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Suburban Front End Noise

Old January 4th, 2007, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Suburban Front End Noise

I have a vibration/noise in the steering wheel when I turn at low speeds. Dealer manually lubed a steering column joint under warranty. It's now back again. Does anyone know specifically where the problem lies and how to fix long term?
Old April 19th, 2007, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2003 Suburban Front End Noise

I have had the same thing in my 2006. They replaced my intermediate shaft from the greased version to the silicon version. Now the noise is gone, but my handlingis awful. It is covered under warranty because it is a recalled part from 2000-2006.
Hope this helps
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:24 AM
CF Beginner

Hi,

This is a known issue with Suburbans/Tahoes. I personally had the issue then a lube was applied and it came back. When I discussed it with my service advisor, he admitted that they used the wrong type of lubricant and GM has released a new one that addresses the issue. Ever since the new lube was used, there has been no issue (4 month already). The following service bulletin talks about it in a lot more details. Hope it helps!

Date: August 18, 2006 TECHNICAL Subject:
Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) Models:
2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)
2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models
2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)
2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models
2003-2006 HUMMER H2 Attention: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities. Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to correct step 11 in the service procedure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003J (Section 02 - Steering). To properly grease the splines, the I-shaft MUST be removed from the vehicle. Failure to do so will result in a repeat repair and a dissatisfied customer. Condition Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces. Diagnostic Tips Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise. Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise - A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information refer to Corporate Bulletin # 03-08-61-002F or newer - Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation) Intermediate Shaft Clunk - Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input. Correction TO PROPERLY GREASE THE SPLINES, THE I-SHAFT MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE VEHICLE. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN A REPEAT REPAIR AND A DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER. Remove the intermediate shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the intermediate shaft with a Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419. Follow the service procedure below. Failure to follow each step as it is outlined below may result in a repeat repair. Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position. On 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 Steering Column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing these steering columns. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil. Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior vehicles. Remove the upper intermediate shaft from the vehicle. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement - Upper in the appropriate SI Document. Remove the spacer clip from the end of the intermediate shaft with a pair of needle nose pliers. Fully extend the shaft by pulling the two shafts apart. Apply the syringe of grease supplied in the Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419, into the open end of the shaft. Direct the syringe tip as deep as possible into the shaft and dispense the full content of the syringe. Insert the plug supplied in the Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit into the open end of the shaft and finger tighten the wing nut. Place the plugged end of the shaft on a hard surface and apply pressure to collapse the shaft and dissipate the grease through the shaft. Remove the plug from the shaft and fully extend the shaft. Inspect the shaft for a minimum of 13 mm (1/2 in) of grease on the shaft splines. Repeat steps 7-10 if less than 13 mm (1/2 in) of grease is on the shaft splines. Clean the excess grease off of the shaft splines and around the shaft opening. Carefully spread apart the spacer clip with a pair of pliers. Reinstall the spacer clip into the open end of the shaft. Align the spacer clip with the stakes in the shaft. Reinstall the upper intermediate steering shaft. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement - Upper in the appropriate SI Document. Parts Information Warranty Information
Old April 29th, 2007, 3:55 AM
CF Beginner

Any progress on the problem that you're having?

Old October 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same issue with my 2003 Suburban with 47K miles on it. I bought it used this June. With there being a recall on this part, wouldI be able to go to a dealership and have it replaced without cost?
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Brande
I have had the same thing in my 2006. They replaced my intermediate shaft from the greased version to the silicon version. Now the noise is gone, but my handlingis awful. It is covered under warranty because it is a recalled part from 2000-2006.
Hope this helps
I too have the same issue with our 2002 Burb. I currently have 163K miles on it and the warranty has long expired. If its a recalled item as you state, I wonder if I can get it replaced free. How would I find out if it was recalled. Do I call a dealership and ask? Would they admit to it? Anyhoo, any advice is always appreciated.
Old March 12th, 2010, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A service bulletin is not a recall. The best thing to do is buy the aftermarket one that I believe is teflon. I replaced mine, the part being $70 delivered and the job about 30 minutes. Next time it would only take 10 since I know what I'm doing. The new part made a world of difference
https://www.partszoneonline.com/index.php. About the fifth part down on the right. $57 plus shipping for about $70.