Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need new bowtie emblems (Front and rear)

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2007, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need new bowtie emblems (Front and rear)

Hi All,
Attempted to remove the nasty gold bowtie from the rear gate as referenced in another post and completely jacked it up. Used the heat gun on a very low setting and fishing line but the foil underneath is VERY sensitive. Have now just removed the entire thing to reveal 2 ugly holes and a raised circle underneath. Have since cleaned off all adhesive with Goo Gone but now need a new rear bowtie! I refuse to put gold back on...anyone know where to get a nice chrome one? I would love to replace the front also and am considering a speed grill insert...do they come together? Please let me know if you can recommend something.
Thanks in advance!
Brian
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need new bowtie emblems (Front and rear)

Try this site. http://www.autoaccessory4u.com/bigrem.html

It should have everything your looking for. Sorry to hear about the "rear" troubles. I just took mine off Saturday and had 1 minor scratch on the chrome but other than that I was successful. I'm in South Louisiana though and it was75 degrees and I used a hair dryer on high heat with a tiny screwdriver. The gold broke into about 5 largepieces and I was done. Good Luck!
Old March 20th, 2007, 1:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should have been okay if foil was sensitive. It is attached to the piece being removed. The clear plastic with gold foil on back is expendable. Use it up, break it whatever. The layer underneath is to be protected.

Why do you need a new front emblem. aer you going chrome on front too. You can paint front. The front bowtie is independant of the grille. There is a cutout for it if you remove it. You won't get one with an aftermarket insert.

gold and black plastic portion removed...

[IMG]local://upfiles/3763/976675FBF0D94FB6816D13BF366A6F85.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3763/76D0D88982664800B7719A958BCE98EB.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 20th, 2007, 3:22 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Jeff...done and DONE. Great site...picked up front and rear billet bowties and a speed grill insert while I was there! Should look very nice. And Tahoe07, I'm a goofball and used too much heat - bubbles under silver foil was the price I paid for being reckless. And I've done plenty of similar work so I guess I just got cocky. The only adice I can give others is to use the hair dryer, not an industrial heat gun! Will post a few pics when all is installed.
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Glad I could help. Show us some pics when you get all those goodies on there. I'm thinking of putting the chrome bowtie on front. I have it painted color matched white right now but it already needs repainting after about 3 months. I don't want to have to repaint 4 times a year. Also, did you go with the Satin, Chrome or Black Chrome for the Speed Grille. I have the precision design phat billet on minebut am starting toreally like the Speed grille. Keep us updated and show us the pics!
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Has anyone ever tried to use a chrome paint on the front and rear emblems? I just found this on ebay and was wondering if it really works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spaz-Stix-Mirror...QQcmdZViewItem
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Seems like there is money to be made here. My painted bowties and grill surround is beginning to fade. The emblems should be easy to keep color fast, assuming they are aluminum. One would think that powder coatings or anodizing should fix this. Sends me off to another task now.
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

I went with the brushed/satin speed grille...I think it's somewhat understated and looks a bit less flashy. I may regret it though, being that it will sit behind a chrome bowtie! Who knows, I'll certainly post when it all arrives. Thanks again.