Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need Opinions on 2005 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2018, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Opinions on 2005 Suburban

I am not on here much but could use some advice. I'm serioiusly looking at purchasing a 2005 Chevy Suburbna Z71, LTZand loaded with everything. It has a 5.3 with 4:10 gears and factory traiker tow package. The radio code is UC6 and I wonder being a 2005 does it have Bluetooth on it. The mileage is 213,000 kms ( 132,000 miles ) and I wonder is there anything inherent that could be a problem with the Burb. I've never owned a newer LS engined anything so any help will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Need Opinions on 2005 Suburban-%24_59-3.jpg   Need Opinions on 2005 Suburban-fullsizeoutput_8b0.jpeg   Need Opinions on 2005 Suburban-%24_59-4.jpg  
Old June 26th, 2018, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the mileage is pretty low. truck looks very clean and is probably well maintained. Most private owners do not keep their vehicle that clean.

I've never seen a 2005 with Bluetooth. These trucks are great vehicles. At that age and km you may see axle seal leaks, vent solenoid codes, broken manifold bolts, water pump gasket leaks, worn suspension parts maybe even slight piston slap on a cold start...none of these things would scare me off. As long as the price is right.

with any used vehicle purchase...have someone with a scan tool go through the I/M monitors and make sure all the monitors have run and passed. Any that are incomplete are probably due to the seller clearing codes so the cel is off...but the problem is still present.

Do a 2 trip test drive...shutting the engine off and restarting at the halfway point. This may allow a 2 trip fault to show itself.

Last edited by tech2; June 26th, 2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old June 27th, 2018, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the mileage is pretty low. truck looks very clean and is probably well maintained. Most private owners do not keep their vehicle that clean.

I've never seen a 2005 with Bluetooth. These trucks are great vehicles. At that age and km you may see axle seal leaks, vent solenoid codes, broken manifold bolts, water pump gasket leaks, worn suspension parts maybe even slight piston slap on a cold start...none of these things would scare me off. As long as the price is right.

with any used vehicle purchase...have someone with a scan tool go through the I/M monitors and make sure all the monitors have run and passed. Any that are incomplete are probably due to the seller clearing codes so the cel is off...but the problem is still present.

Do a 2 trip test drive...shutting the engine off and restarting at the halfway point. This may allow a 2 trip fault to show itself.

Thank you. Broken manifold bolts, do you mean intake and if so why would they break. The asking is 9900 Canadian about 8000 US and from whatI've seen of these that seems reasonable.
Old June 27th, 2018, 3:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an '01 which I bought new, and which now has 236,000 miles on it. It has that many miles because of good maintenance and I keep records of that for good reasons, one being a good selling point should it get to selling it. If I were buying used I would insist on a few things. The seller would have had to keep records and receipts of that maintenance to prove that it was done; also, those records would help to support the mileage on the odometer. This also means I'd be looking for a one owner vehicle, someone who would know from day one how the vehicle was cared for. A Carfax is helpful, but is often inconclusive. For example, many Carfax reports show say 0 miles when new and, as in the Suburban that you are looking at, the odometer says 132,000, but no Carfax mileage reports in between to show some proof that the odometer is accurate. I can also tell you that some bigger problems started around 160,000 miles, like a water pump, power steering pump, and front hub bearings before 200,000 miles. My engine, trans, and even the starter is original, amazingly. I know this doesn't answer your specific question about the radio, but you have bigger concerns than that. You can always have a new radio put in; just make sure that you are putting it into the truck that is the vehicle that you are lead to believe.
Old June 27th, 2018, 4:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Our '05 is pushing 250k and no major problems to date. Needs a qt of oil between changes but has been a reliable rig.
Old June 28th, 2018, 8:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 99 Z56
Thank you. Broken manifold bolts, do you mean intake and if so why would they break. The asking is 9900 Canadian about 8000 US and from whatI've seen of these that seems reasonable.
exhaust manifold....why...the manifolds heat up and contract...over time...the bolts shear off.
if your in Ontario and buying privately...the used vehicle information package is quite helpful. All the provinces should mandate this. It will show the high and low selling prices in the package, all previous owners, lean and vehicle status.

kijiji is a good online source for pricing. public libraries have blue book values.
Old June 29th, 2018, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

That for the info everyone . Me and the seller are 1000.00 apart right now so I may not get it. I'm in Western Canada.
Old June 29th, 2018, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

10 g is high imo. if its private sale....your gonna have to fix something on a 10+ yo old truck.