Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need suggestions for Magnaflow Muffler and Tip

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2013, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need suggestions for Magnaflow Muffler and Tip

I have a 2011 Tahoe LT 5.3 with a 22" chrome chevy wheel package. I have done everything that I want to the vehicle except I am missing a nice deep exhaust sound. I think I am going to go with the Magnaflow #12589 for a nice deep sound. I am trying to minimize drone so I think I am making the correct choice?

As far as a tip goes, I like the look of Magnaflow #35206. Any suggestions other Magnaflow tips that may look good with this setup?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:35 PM
CF Active Member

I find that the Magnaflow is much better than the Flowmaster for drone, but it still drones. It is your call if this is the type of sound you are looking for. It can get tiring if you use your truck on the highway a lot. If you are mostly city driving, it isn't too bad.

The tip you chose looks nice. You also have the option of going with the GM exhaust tip. Part # 19156356. It is a pretty easy install if you are looking to improve the look of the stock exhaust pipe.

Good luck with your install.
Old March 16th, 2013, 6:45 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

skei13: Welcome to the forum.

Might try the SLP Dual Tip resonator replacement first.
Old March 17th, 2013, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info!! I usually am driving on the highway for 20-30 minutes at a time. Regarding the drone..I usually have the radio on when driving, will I still be affected by the drone? Thanks!

Originally Posted by mulmur1
I find that the Magnaflow is much better than the Flowmaster for drone, but it still drones. It is your call if this is the type of sound you are looking for. It can get tiring if you use your truck on the highway a lot. If you are mostly city driving, it isn't too bad.

The tip you chose looks nice. You also have the option of going with the GM exhaust tip. Part # 19156356. It is a pretty easy install if you are looking to improve the look of the stock exhaust pipe.

Good luck with your install.
Old March 17th, 2013, 7:10 PM
Administrator

Drone is a low frequency sound, so it will probably be noticeable since it will pass thru into the psgr compartment.
Old March 18th, 2013, 5:58 PM
CF Active Member

You may want to try and find someone with the exhaust system you are looking at and see if you can take a ride with them. Your local muffler shop should be able to help you out. I would hate to see you add the Magnaflows and not like them, due to the drone. I have flowmasters on my Camaro and even with lots of sound insulation in the car, there is lots of drone. On the Camaro, it is ok, as it is more of toy, but for a daily driver, you may find it gets tiring really fast.

The appearance change with the addition of the stainless exhaust tip may be all you need to make the improvement you want.
Old January 13th, 2014, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

I cant seem to find the answer anywhere here and the live chat on the chevy website didn't help. Does somebody know the stock exhaust diameter on 2014 suburban? i'm trying to order a black exhaust tip before taking delivery of the truck on friday. thanks in advance.
Old January 13th, 2014, 7:42 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

Check out the SLP dual tip resonator eliminator. Sounds good and gets rid of that ugly resonator.

I'm not at my desk but I believe the diameter is 2.75" if they haven't changed it. Can you check one out at a dealer?
Old January 14th, 2014, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

i called the dealer yesterday and they told me it measured to 2 5/8 which is such a random size that none of the third party tips i have looked at will fit without some additional modification. maybe i should just upgrade the entire exhaust.
Old January 14th, 2014, 8:45 AM
Administrator

Personally I would measure it myself just to be sure.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions for Magnaflow Muffler and Tip