Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

need trans info/help

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need trans info/help

hey guys im new to the forum.i just bought a 1995 k1500 suburban and the trans slips in drive. i was wondering what trans i have and if i converted it to 2 wheel drive what parts would i need from the donor suburban? any info would be greatly appreciated. also i got a price on rebuilding the trans that is in the truck now for 1200 bucks is that resonable?
Old August 15th, 2012, 6:28 AM
CF Junior Member

As for Rebuild Cost: I've got an '06 and just had trans rebuilt for $1400 in Milwaukee, and everyone I've spoken with around here though that was a vey good deal since most transmission rebuilds up here are $2k+.
Obviously, the labor cost is a major part of cost, so I think where you live would be a major factor, but $1200 sounds good to me.

For 2x4 conversion, I think the main thing you would need is just the transmission, to make it work. If you want to completely move everything ove to it looks like a factory 2wd, you would need a different front suspension to get rid of the front differential, lots of parts would end up being different (I can't think of everything, but you're getting rid of the front driveshaft, so it would be A LOT of different parts). I will defer to someone else who's done a conversion, but I would think you could leave the axle and stuff in the car for conversion simplicity and less work.

Last edited by OtherCarASaab; August 15th, 2012 at 7:29 AM.
Old August 15th, 2012, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the reply,i was looking to just change the trans.i was looking to remove just the transfer case and front driveshaft and leave the front diff. could i use my driveshaft and crossmember thats currently in the truck or would i need those from the 2wd donor sburban?