Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Needs new engine at 106Kmi, how is that even acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2016, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needs new engine at 106Kmi, how is that even acceptable?

I am still in shock in last 24hrs that outta nowhere my 07 suburban that only has almost 106,000 miles on it has major engine troubles?? The engine suddenly started knocking and simultaneously it started to have a million gremlins such as driving in limp mode, idles poorly, very harsh transmission shifts in low gear, dash lights such as stabilitrac, engine light, traction control are all going haywire. Basically it feels like a buggy windows 95 computer. Took it to chevy dealer and they really badly want to sell me a new $7K motor that they "have 3 of in stock". The code that came back was P0300 misfire on cylinder 1 and that lifter is defective. I was surprised it didn't give codes for obvious computer control issues on the 4cyl/8cyl go-between madness?, I am learning about the codes and unsure. Either way, this is an epic fail on chevrolet to have that problem of a barely over 100 thousand mile car require an engine swap... I am at a loss for words on this one, the idea of a $7000 new engine as my experience with a chevy family vehicle is going to send me over the edge
Old March 31st, 2016, 7:11 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

Yes that sounds like the AFM failure. the lifter has collapsed and likely has worn down the cam shaft letting loose plenty of metal shavings into the engine.
You could have your current engine rebuilt a bit cheaper but would have to wait for it, where as the dealer will shoehorn a new crate motor in less time...
Check with the Chevrolet Customer Service as you may be able to get GM to foot a large portion of the bill or at least half of it in some cases...

Here are a few threads to read, or just search the forum for AFM failure

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...ression-77413/

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...acement-77205/

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...control-45015/
Old March 31st, 2016, 8:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

must be more to the story. a colasped afm lifter does not condemn an engine.
Old April 1st, 2016, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
must be more to the story. a colasped afm lifter does not condemn an engine.
Not much more to the story, it appears lifter is bad on cyl1 at least, and Chevy dealer's desired fix is to swap out motor, probably the easiest and best business opportunity for them is my guess. Basically just start the clock over and burn through another motor in 100k or less miles?
Old April 1st, 2016, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks. I opened a case, the way i see it, whether its 9 yrs old or 1 yr old, at 106k miles, a glitch in the v4/v8 system to cause this type of failure is dissapointing and its too bad cuz the truck is otherwise in great condition, has been cared for, and chevy should want to assist with their vehicles making it to a higher life expectancy standard of ownership before a major failure in their product
Old April 1st, 2016, 4:05 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Bama07Suburban thanks for the follow up, please do keep the forum informed of the progress. Keep in mind the dealership, even though they are not responsible for the failure, sometimes have the adsorb some of that cost not just GM, so work with them but be persistent with GM, it is a known issue.
There is no recall or service bulletin for it that I am aware of, most of it is based on goodwill and I am pretty sure some backroom dice rolling
Old May 11th, 2016, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

I was told I need a new motor (at 120k) and wondering if there is any information from Chevrolet about their replacement motor with the 3 yr warranty, etc. Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2016, 5:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bama07Suburban
Not much more to the story, it appears lifter is bad on cyl1 at least, and Chevy dealer's desired fix is to swap out motor, probably the easiest and best business opportunity for them is my guess. Basically just start the clock over and burn through another motor in 100k or less miles?

The new engine is still going to have the AFM issue? I thought that issue with the AFM was fixed after 2010..Was it not?

Plan on getting a 2012 or newer 5.3 Tahoe later in the year and was hoping to get 300K miles out of it..Do I need to be worried?
Old May 19th, 2016, 6:42 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was me, and me being a diesel engine lover. I would go and spend that 7000 grand on a duramax motor install. Go on youtube and search for Duraburb. they are in florida, and do great work from what i can see in the videos. I have spoken with the owner on the phone discussing their process of duramax engine selection and other things. I'm not affiliated with Duraburb in anyway. But that would be my choice instead of putting another afm engine, if afm has soured your taste.
Old May 26th, 2016, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same issue with my 07. $1800 including a creeper that you stand on and fixed the issue myself