Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New Engine Stinks!

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine Stinks!

I know its probably just due to it being a new engine and it breaking in and all, but how long will a new engine smell?

As soon as we turn off the engine, and get out you can smell a rank smell, its running fine, no weird noises, nothing leaking, so Im sure its just due to it breaking in, so how long till that goes away?
Old September 28th, 2006, 3:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: New Engine Stinks!

I don't remember any smells coming from the engine when I bought my '07. How long have you had the Tahoe.
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Ive had it since about September 3rd...its a 2007 Tahoe, and just has 600 miles on it now...

It really doesnt smell like anything I can describe, it doesnt smell like burnt oil, or radiator fluid...It just has a weird odor after it has been run...very hard to describe it..
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Does it smell like rotten eggs? If so, it could be your catalytic converters. I would check with your dealer.
Old September 28th, 2006, 1:37 PM
CF Junior Member

No it doesnt smell like rotten eggs either. I really cant describe the smell though, almost kinda like a burnt rubber smell tied with a sweet aroma...I tried raising the hood last night while the truck was on trying to see if I could get a better smell and let my wife smell it to see what she thought of it, however I couldnt smell it last night. Im gonna try again tonight to see if I can smell it...
Old September 28th, 2006, 2:13 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The smell comes from a preservative/rust preventative compound called Cosmoline that is applied to the undercarriage of the vehicle prior to be shipped from the factory, some gets on the exhaust system and it normally is burned away within a couple hundred miles but occasionally it takes longer.
Nothing to worry about and it will eventually go away.
Old September 28th, 2006, 2:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the info ZX,

That build sheet you sent me stated that the truck was built(I assume completed) on 8/14/06, and we purchased it on 9/2/06, so it is very new off the manufacturing floor. I had assumed it was something to this effect, but wanted to verify. The truck has been running great, and have been watching for any fluid leaks(which there have been none), and keeping an eye on fluid levels....
Old September 28th, 2006, 3:01 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your Tahoe arrived at the dealership on 8/17/06 so you got a very fresh unit, I expect that your Tahoe will be fairly trouble free, most of the problems were with early build units but they're being sorted out.

Dave
Old September 29th, 2006, 1:01 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Have you looked under the vehicle to see if anything has gotten on the exhaust system? Had a trash bag stuck on the cat conv one time and it smelled bad for a long time.
Old September 29th, 2006, 2:42 AM
CF Junior Member

No Bags! I thought about that as well...I believe(read HOPE) that its just what ZX thinks and is that rust protector...

Quick Reply: New Engine Stinks!