Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New Engine Stinks!

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2006, 3:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Engine Stinks!

Other smells may be coming from some of the components of the engine, such as solvents, release agents and lubricants used to make some of the metal stampings, die castings andd plastic components. It should go away in a few hundred miles. Perfectly normal. If after sy 500 miles you still have the smell, take it in and have it thoroughly checked out. Not to alarm you, just FYI, I had a funky smell coming from my 2002 Suburban (smelled like propane). It turned out to be my rear end devouring itself.
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:23 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the brakes too! I always think all vehicles smell after driving them and pulling them in the garage. I thought I had the smeel narrowed down to the brakes, could be wrong or maybe a bad smeller!

ZX/Dave. I purchased a program tahoe built in February. I just got it about 3 weeks ago, it has 5k miles. SO far the rear window trim, hockey sticks are being replaced, the cig lighter covers were broke, and that is about all cosmetically I have had issues with.

What re some other parts/pieces of concern on the early builds? Thanks, Landon.
Old October 11th, 2006, 1:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tahoe now has 1100 miles on it...Ive towed a boat behind her...I think the smell has gone away. I dont smell it anymore...

Thanks for the help Dave! It seems you were correct about them putting a little to much sealent(which is not a bad thing
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Landon,
Many of the problems that some early Tahoe owners experienced were addressed with new software program calibrations.
Those issues mainly had to do with the auto HVAC and front door/mirror lighting, there were also problems with some of the very early build Body Control Modules (BCM) but you'll know it if your's is one of those.

The "hockey sticks" and a couple of other minor trim pieces had issues, but all-in-all the new GMT900's have had a very successful launch.

Dave
Old October 11th, 2006, 3:49 PM
CF Addict

Dave,
Thanks for the reply. I dont guess I have the auto HVAC or door/mirror lighing issues. I dont know anythign about BCM so they must be good too, . Thanks again and I guess just my hockey sticks and cig lighter cover thingy's are the only issue I have!
Old October 13th, 2006, 2:46 PM
CF Addict

You aux power (cig lighter) outlet covers were broken by the previous user, they didn't fall apart on their own like your rear window modlings (hockey sticks) did.
Old October 13th, 2006, 3:44 PM
CF Addict

yes, the aux power covers were broken by the Gm employee that drove the tahoe. However, the design of them seem to be poor. SO i figured it was a common issue. But apparently you are saying that it isnt a design issue, that it was operator error. Thanks again for all of your input.
Old October 13th, 2006, 4:38 PM
CF Addict

Oh, don't get me wrong they're flimsy as hell but if you're careful they'll last ok, if you're a gorilla then you'd better buy a pocket full of em from your local GM parts guy.