Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

The new led headlight replacements

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2016, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new led headlight replacements

Has anyone converted to the new led headlight replacements I saw some that advertised 4500 lumen per bulb and they supposed to be brighter than hid also what brand is good reliable brighter than the rest
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:24 AM

What headlight housing do you have; these bulbs really need to be in projector housings and properly adjusted.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:27 AM

Do you have projector housings?
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:53 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm interested as well. I saw on some mixed reviews on AutoAnything about Oracle LED headlight conversion bulbs. There were some '11-'14 Chevy Silverado owners who made the change and really liked the results. Since my '13 Tahoe shares the same headlight housing as these Silverado's I may give it a try. If I do not like the results, I will simply return them.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:37 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's a writeup I did last summer...Have had the lights in for about 8 months, still working great. I have HIDs in my 2008 Suburban. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the HIDs, but that's partially because LEDs are still pretty new and I can be a bit of a Luddite.

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Well, instead of tacking onto an alread-long thread, I figured I'd start a new thread for my install. I bought the superbright LED H11 and H16 kits for my Denali. Finally got around to installing them.

Installing the headlights was pretty straightforward. Since this was my first time wrenching on the truck, I decided to rip the whole front end apart. Wanted to get a feel for the lay of the land. No clearance issues. The lights plugged in easy and went on the first try. I used some 3M doublesided foam tape to attach the little "driver" boxes to the vertical fender supports.

I expected the foglight install to be a piece of cake - just crawl under the truck and swap out the bulbs. I popped out the OEM bulbs easy enough, but I couldn't get the LED bulbs to latch in. The bulb would engage one latch, but then it would seat to lock the second latch. I figured out that there wasn't enough room for the o-ring on the bulb housing - it wasn't compressing enough to seat into the foglight housing opening. The o-ring groove wasn't deep enough, so I took my Dremel with a thin cutting wheel and whittled the groove to give more room for the o-ring. Once I'd ground down the o-ring grooves a little, the bulbs seated right in and engaged both latches.

So how do they perform? Well, as you can see in the pictures, the lows don't have that sharp cutoff like the OEM halogen bulbs. So I guess I'm now one of those ****** that's blinding oncoming drivers. That being said, I've yet to be flashed by any oncoming traffic.

Light output is probably 25-30% greater than the halogens, and the color is much better. The foglights are easily 2x-3x brighter than the OEM bulbs, but I think the crappy OEM reflector housing keeps them from being truly brilliant. They do throw out some pretty good peripheral light.

Overall, I'm happy with them. I would recommend them, assuming they last as I expect them to. I got these LEDs because the Sierra uses the lowbeams as DRLs. I didn't want to install HIDs, because I know they don't like the constant on/off they'd see in the Sierra. I have HIDs in my Suburbans, and I love them. I'm probably going to pick up another pair of the H16 bulbs to install in the fog lights for my '08 Suburban.

Here are some pics:

The kits:

OEM headlight pattern - notice the sharp cutoff:

Driver's side LED installed:

Both installed:

Fog light comparison:

Finished:

Fogs only:

Lowbeams only:

Lows and fogs:
Old March 28th, 2016, 8:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Those look awesome! Have you tried to adjust the beam lower on the headlights?

Last edited by Typerod; March 28th, 2016 at 8:55 AM.
Old March 30th, 2016, 2:23 PM

Old April 1st, 2016, 6:53 AM
CF Beginner

Old April 1st, 2016, 6:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Typerod
Those look awesome! Have you tried to adjust the beam lower on the headlights?
No.

Originally Posted by Kooshball1500
No.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

You might want to invest in a projector housing so that you can aim the beams correctly and not throw glaring light at oncoming traffic.

With these aftermarket lights difference is amazing .

Originally Posted by intheburbs
No.

No.