Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New to me 1996 K2500 7.4

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2011, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 1996 K2500 7.4

Hello all!

I just got my 1996 K2500 7.4 w/ 165k home today. It was a 6hr drive and drove great the whole way. Very smooth and comfortable for such a heavy duty rig. This vehicle will not be my daily driver, but will be mainly used to haul my Jeep to and from the trails (reliably!) I am posting here for some pointers on what kind of preventative maintenance I can do to keep this a reliable tow rig.

I did notice that just today it seemed to start hard (~3 seconds cranking before firing up) when it hadn't been run in a while. Strange since it sat for a week before I picked it up and had no problem starting then. I was filling up today (down just below 1/4 tank) and the pump shut off at $125 but never clicked off. It was about 33 gallons. I then noticed a light gas odor around the rear of it. Maybe related? I've heard the injectors can clog up so I put some injector cleaner in the tank, but I'm not holding my breath for that to solve the problem.

I noticed the steering has a little play and I've read that the front end parts are notorious for wearing out at higher mileage so I will check over everything and replace whatever is necessary. It also has a small exhaust leak at a flange in the middle of the truck which I'm hoping is just the gasket. Needs a front pinion seal. Other than those items I plan to do a simple tune up and change all the fluids. Despite any of these minor issues, it runs great and I think it's a great truck for my purpose! Can't wait to get towing.

Thanks in advance!