Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New ring and pinion problem

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2015, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ring and pinion problem

Hello im Kristian from sweden. Im new to this forum and hope i post this in right section. Our family fancy Usa cars, not many in sweden do. Therefor we have huge problems getting service and finding good people to repair our cars. So ive been ending up doing most stuff my self.

Problem car today is a Chevy Suburban 3/4ton. Its a 10.5" axle 14 bolt cover. Thing is the cover plate rusted up so the oil ran out and i drove approx 80miles without oil in rear axle.

So the outer pinion bearing got stuck so it spinned in the housing, for how long i dont know. So to start with i changed the pinion bearings and crush sleeve but the whining was still kind of terrible. Still i had to drive half a year like this...

So i have a contact in the USA that bought a new overhaul kit.

Today i changed everything and all went well, i still had to press the bearing to the seat that had spinned. For safety i used loctite.

I check backlash and pattern. (After reading 10 manuals and ive done this before) Having small problem getting pattern good, but think i end up pretty OK anyway.

Problem is i still get small whine at 45-50mph when cruising and decresing at that speed, íts not loud but i was so lucky i thought i had repaired the sound away. So ive ended up taking it all down 4 times trying make small changes within tolerances to make it soundless without sucess.

Here on dropbox is some high res pics you can see. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jxd490nzz...WUQkCnfBa?dl=0

Here comes a fast resumee:

1; Oil drains from rear axle, i drive 80miles home without oil and i guess somewhere there the bearing failed and spinned in the housing.

2; I change pinion bearings, crush sleeve och seal. Terrible whine but still drive like this for half a year.

3; Got all new ring and pinion, bearings, crush sleeve, seals and spacers and the sound is gone for 70% but still cant get it soundless. Ive tryed putting the pinion closer with max backlash and putting the pinion further away with minimum backlash. And ofcourse pinion in perfect position with perfect backlash.

So my questions: Could it be when the old setup ran without oil and the housing got kind of out of position? Remember i still had to press the bearing in position and the house looked OK. Or could it just be the new ring and pinion? Could it get better with time? Should i add something to the oil to get it better?

The kit was Standard gear.

Im really out of ideas and need help.

Sorry for bad english.

/Kristian

Last edited by KristianEriksson; January 18th, 2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old January 18th, 2015, 9:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Did you change just the bearings or bearings and crown and pinion?

I have seen aftermarket crown & pinion assemblies have runnout on the ring gear when it's bolted to the differential housing. That is why I never use after market rear end parts.
With a dial indicator check runnout of the ring gear.

Last edited by tech2; January 18th, 2015 at 9:29 AM.
Old January 18th, 2015, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
Did you change just the bearings or bearings and crown and pinion?

I have seen aftermarket crown & pinion assemblies have runnout on the ring gear when it's bolted to the differential housing. That is why I never use after market rear end parts.
With a dial indicator check runnout of the ring gear.

Please specify runnout, cant translate it..

Edit. Everything new, ring, pinion, bearings, crushsleeve. Ok googled it, next time i take it all down again i'll check the runnout. Even tho pattern were same all around.

Last edited by KristianEriksson; January 18th, 2015 at 10:07 AM.