Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New Transmission

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2018, 12:11 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Transmission

pulling a 29 ft RV Trailer with 2010 chevy 1500 suburban 4x4. transmission temp went above 200. it reached up to 225.

is transmission ok if I change oil and filter or is transmission need to be replaced
Old June 7th, 2018, 12:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't be too concerned unless it was sustained for a long time. How does the fluid look? If you don't have the additional trans cooler, I would get it. Your temps will likely drop 25 degrees. I would have any work done performed by the dealer and not yourself, unless your very automotive mechanically inclined. It will be a little more expensive than you will want it to be, but compared to what it takes to do a trans oil/filter change or adding the additional cooler...it will be worth the expense imo.

And since I can't tell from your post, changing the regular "oil and filter" has nothing to do with the transmission. Just fyi.
Old June 7th, 2018, 3:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless the transmission is acting up change the fluid and don't worry about it. I also tow a travel trailer with my burb. I have the factory tow package and I added an additional transmission cooler. If your fluid is still red it's probably OK.