Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Newbie with Cam Question.

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2006, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with Cam Question.

Hello Everyone, my name is William and I'm probably one of the newer members on this board. I have a question about a Suburban engine and I'm hoping someone on here can help me out. I did a search of the board and couldn't find any info, so if the question has been asked before, I apologize.

I currently own 2 Camaros. The first is a Med. Quasar Blue Metalic 1995 model (hince the SN) and the other is my new pride and joy a 1986 Iroc Z. Now youre thinking...hmmm what does this have to do with the big ol burbans that I drive? Well I'll tell you. The Iroccame from factory with a 305. Well this motor lasted through the first 3 owners of the car until the 4th (the one I bought the car from) decided to take it to the drag stip and blow it up. So he replaced the factory 305 with a 350 from a 1994 Suburban. Well after about a year after the heart transplant, he allowed the 350 to overheat, melting the temp. sending unit, and causing a hellish knock somewhere in the motor. There is no doubt that the motor will have to be rebuilt, but I'm also wanting to change the cam in it too.

My question is this: Did the 350 that came in the 1994 Suburbans have a hydrolic roller cam in them? or were they flat tappet/Mechanical...etc? I know that I can pull the motor and look at the stamped number to find out, but currently the motor is in the car and I'm trying make room for it in the basement so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:13 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Newbie with Cam Question.

I've seen them come with either cam. The only way to know for sure is to pull the intake and look.
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Uncle Bill. I was afraid nobody would help since I'm such a Newbie...lol.

I'll hopefully be able to get that motor out soon. I'm cleaning the basement now to make room for it so hopefully within a week or so I'll be able to get started on it. I'm really hoping its hydrolic. They are a much nicer cam and I like them alot more than flat tappet. I have already picked a couple of hydrolic options from Comp Cams. One has a 270 degree duration, the other a 280 degree duration, both with .480" lift for intake and exhaust. If its flat tappet, I'm going to have to back up and punt...which I really don't want to have to do.

Can't wait to dive and see!

Old September 20th, 2006, 8:45 PM
CF Active Member

Hey, Blue!

Just because you're a "newbie" on this forum doesn't mean anyone here would think you're a dummy. You'll get the same respect as anyone else here. We're all here to help eachother.

The more the merrier.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your engine rebuild!
Old September 22nd, 2006, 4:30 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 94 5.7L Suburban motor did not come from the factory with a roller cam, 1996 was the frist year for the roller cam in the trucks.
If you're planning on rebuilding that motor you may want ot swap out the cam for one better suited for a car while you have her apart. or better yet find a Tuned Port or an LT1 to drop in.
Old September 24th, 2006, 2:13 PM
CF Active Member

I have seen '94's with a factory roller cam.
Old September 25th, 2006, 12:56 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: uncle bill

I have seen '94's with a factory roller cam.
So have I but not in Suburban's.
But I'll let GM know that you're correct and that their data is wrong.
Thanks for all of your help Bill.