Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Performance cam question

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2010, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance cam question

I'm looking for high hp and lower torque. Do i want high lift, longer duration? Please help.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 4:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What you want is balance.

How big is the engine, and how much extra horsepower do you need?

Bearing in mind, of course, that this is going to hurt your fuel economy.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not too worried about gas mileage. It's a 350 andi just need more. I need a new cam anyway, so I just figured I'd upgrade.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 8:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ok. it's tough choosing the right cam. we're inclined to grab a big, lumpy stick and roll, not realizing how every other part plays a role. for example, take a dished piston, 76cc head, small valve motor. a big lumpy cam will not do well here because there isn't enough compression or volume for it to function right. everything has to play together and well. now, a mild 350, flat top, 1.94 heads, aluminum intake, properly sized and tuned carb, this motor will benefit from a bigger cam. motor will be able to draw in, burn, and expel the extra fuel easy. but there is such a thing as too big, or too small. if you get to big, you will have driveability issues. to small, you won't make the power you want. for a pretty standard, or mild build, i've used 268 cams, 272 cams. lift with these is above stock, but not so much you can't drive it. i say take a look at comp cams, edelbrock, other companies. check and compare their numbers for different cams. and also look at the motor itself. what's inside? is it higher compression, or sub 9.0:1? main thing is to make sure everything works together to get the power you want, otherwise you'll fight it all the way.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 8:58 PM
CF Active Member

well put maxxman...Definitely dont go to big....usually duration has a bigger affect on the idle quality...and lift doesnt affect it as much but also adds power...if you want to upgrade everything i would get edlebrocks performer kit, its builds power from idle to 5500...if you 350 is stock...if you have higher compression and upgraded rods or at least arp rod bolts you could get thier performer rpm kit..1500-6500.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna have to buy a decal that says chevyforum built.