Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Newbie Suburban wheel question

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2012, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Suburban wheel question

Hi all. Just bought a 2001 Suburban LT 4wd. Stock wheels and 265/75r16s I believe. Would like to go with a little larger wheel like the newer models. (17 or 18") I noticed there are a lot of tire+wheel packages on ebay claiming brand new off factory vehicles that are being modified.

My question is has anyone ever ordered these and any issues? Looks like for the price of new tires, I could get a new set of factory wheels and tires off a 2012 to update the look of my 2001. Just bolt on with no issues? Scam?

Here is an example...
New 2013 Chevy Silverado Suburban Tahoe Avalanche 18" Z71 Aluminum Wheels Tires | eBay

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, I searched and couldnt find anything related.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Eric
Old December 3rd, 2012, 9:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings, welcome to the Forum.

Two of the most important issues when going with different sizes (tire width or rim diameter) are...

1) That the overall tire diameter be as close to your OEM as possible, unless you can reprogram the Computer to compensate for a speed differential. But one can still mount just about anything under his ride, if he wants to tolerate the speed error shown.

2) Simply that they don't scrub your fender wells or suspension.

Also, there are some issues with one's perception of reduced power and breaking, when much larger sizes are installed. There's a very large year/application range acceptable for mountings, and as far as something being a scam... that's a chance one always takes.

Also, I would think that rims from a 12 or 13 would go well, but you'd still have to select a tire that was appropriate. The way to do that is, select a Tire which is the same width and diameter as your new Rim, then adjust/select a profile, which puts you as close to OEM overall diameter as possible.
(see attachment)

Good Luck !
Attached Thumbnails Newbie Suburban wheel question-changing-rim-diameter.jpg  

Last edited by SWHouston; December 3rd, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your response! Cool forum. Been hanging out here a lot.

The Wheel/Tire packages I've been looking at on ebay are from brand new rigs that they are modifying. I was thinking of getting one complete with the OEM tires and free shipping. Need to do some math but I would bet they are close to the same diameter as they used in '01. Just seems like a pretty cost effective way to upgrade.....

That being said, I am interested in going a tad bigger. My last truck had larger tires than OEM and I learned to compensate for speed pretty fast. I was under my Suburban yesterday changing the oil and I couldn't believe how low it was!! Almost as bad as my Accord! We head out to the Eastern Oregon desert a lot and I'm afraid the rocks are going to pummel this thing! I do have the skid plates but....

Thanks to this forum I'm researching a 2.5" lift in front and maybe 1" in back. I want to stay reasonable or my wife will hate it! (does that matter?) Also don't want to deal with any suspension issues.

Take it easy....
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Oh ok packages !
That sounds like a very economical way to upgrade. If you don't like the tires on it, there's always Sites or a Shop, where you might sell the furnished tires, and get some which suit you.

Given that you mentioned "rock"...
Most climbers have found that rock likes a "fatter" tire like a 75 profile. That and a fairly large diameter rim, ought to give you a couple inches lift just on it's own.

Good luck !
Old December 4th, 2012, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Ha Ha. Well, by rock I mean unimproved roads out in the sage brush with lots of big rocks in them. Sometimes sticking 7" or 8" out of the road. Wont be doing much climbing! Just like to have a little clearance!
So my current tires are 265/75r16. Figured that was basically stock. Any suggestions on a size that would give me an inch or so more height on a 16" or 17" rim? I really get confused with the sizes!

My wife thinks its just a big mini van!! Something with a little taller stance might improve the toughness look a bit!
Old December 4th, 2012, 9:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by steinb
Any suggestions on a size that would give me an inch or so more height on a 16" or 17" rim?
The more the merrier! Go with 18" if they're available. Every inch you put underneath your ride, the higher you'll be.

But if you decide that the Tires you get with the Package aren't as OTR as you'd like them to be and sell those, let me know the diameter and width of the Rim, and I'll help you select a tire which will do the job, and add to the height as much as possible.

Last edited by SWHouston; December 4th, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks! Will do.
Old December 5th, 2012, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

I would recommend you first reading some reviews before ordering those tires.
Old December 5th, 2012, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Ok will do. Looks like the packages come with either Goodyear Wranglers or Bridgestone Duelers. Is there something you know specifically about these tires? I'll definitely research. Thinking now I may just go with larger OEM rims and find my own tires.
Old December 5th, 2012, 3:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default Looking up the Overall Diameter of a Tire

Both of the Brand/Types that you mentioned, are very good Tires, but...
They both have a "Street/Hi-way type tread. That doesn't mean you couldn't replace those at some point for a type that satisfied the OTR conditions you mentioned, and as stated previously, sell them to compensate the new purchase.

You're probably going to be running into several numbers in looking over what is available, so here's a easy way to see just how "tall" (Overall Diameter) that tire is...

Go to this link...
"Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels"
Then look on the left side of the page, and click on...
"Tire Size"
When the Box appears, type in the Size tire you're interested in.
Then click on "proceed to results".

This will probably show several types of the same size tire, but they all will generally be the same diameter. On any of this listed Tires, see the Grey block related to each, and click on the word "Specs".
When the page refreshes, look for a column named "Overall Diam".
That is the Diameter of the Tire you're looking at.

You can look up any tire/package you want that way, then select the package with the largest number in that cell.

Just for reference, the tires you're using now are...
265/75/16 which are 31.6" in Overall Diameter.

So, any package you select that has a higher number in that cell, is a step in the right direction.

Last edited by SWHouston; December 5th, 2012 at 3:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie Suburban wheel question