Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

No radio, heater/ac, or power windows???

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No radio, heater/ac, or power windows???

hey everyone new to the forum here, i have a 99 chevy suburban c2500 and im having some issues. the plastic guard around the ignition wire box is broke and when i was driving, my key chain hit the exposed wires and it sparked. Now the radio,heater/ac,windows dont work. checked the fuses and they are good. thought it might be the 30 amp relay but took it to oreilly and they said it was fine, so where do i look now? thanks for any help, and if this doesnt make sense ill try to explain it a little better.
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_53570-->

Last edited by burban11; February 2nd, 2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you burned the power wires for the RUN position. If you trace this ignition switch down the steering column I bet you will find the insulation burned off and the wires melted on those that get power in RUN or ACCESSORY. You are going to have to replace either the ignition switch or the some of the wires in the steering column(if not the steering column).
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

well the suburban was broken into and thats why the plastic cover was broke and i put a new key cylinder in, but since this all happened the truck will still start just fine, so you still think it would need an ignition switch?
Old February 3rd, 2011, 8:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No. I think you need the wiring harness that runs down the steering column. I dont know how much that costs or if it is integral to the steering column. I dont know how a GM ignition switch looks but it should be in close proximity, if not in front of the lock cylinder. You can start with that and if your problem persists then you will need the wiring harness.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

ok i check that out, thats where the key ring hit and sparked was the wires on the ignition switch, so it makes sense that either the wires would be fried or maybe it welded a piece to the wire and its constantly shorting out?
Old March 28th, 2023, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default any update

Originally Posted by burban11
hey everyone new to the forum here, i have a 99 chevy suburban c2500 and im having some issues. the plastic guard around the ignition wire box is broke and when i was driving, my key chain hit the exposed wires and it sparked. Now the radio,heater/ac,windows dont work. checked the fuses and they are good. thought it might be the 30 amp relay but took it to oreilly and they said it was fine, so where do i look now? thanks for any help, and if this doesnt make sense ill try to explain it a little better.
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_53570-->
any update on this i have a 96 2 door tahoe haveing while messing around under the dash i touched something sent a small arc and now have no heat/ac no radio and no power windows all fuses are good any ideas