Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Is this a normal problem??? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2010, 12:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this a normal problem??? Please help!

hello, i have a 2010 tahoe lt. two days ago i swapped the color matched door handles for OEM chrome handles. its been raining everyday since then. today i was suspicious about water entering through those handles so i removed all the door panels again and the foam behind them to reveal the inside skin on the door and discovered that the whole inside of the door has condensation and slight water drips. not only near the handle but all over. i poured some water on the outside handle wile looking at the inside and saw a few drops come in from each one. is this normal. i called the dealer and explained and he said you will always have some as long as theres not a pool in ther and the interior does not get wet. but he was not sure so he transfered me to the body shop and i left a message to call me back. what do you guys think?
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Was there any kind of gasketing on the OEM handles? If there was a small amount of water all over, then that's probably normal. That's why there's drain holes at the bottom of the door.
Old November 5th, 2010, 1:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed the same thing in a few cars when I replaced the speakers, there are drain holes in there to take care of it.
Old November 5th, 2010, 5:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the gaskets are there. i dried it all up hit it with a blowdryer in the cracks and i torqued them down a bit harder and put a small bit of silicon on the areas letting water in on the inside of the handle.. the dealership told me its completely normal so im not worried now. most of it looked to be condensation anyways
Old November 8th, 2010, 6:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats normal. Yours windows seals will not seal 100% and thats why u have drain holes on the bottom of the door. Just ... once a while is good to check them and clean with wood stick
Old November 8th, 2010, 6:24 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Much like the sun roof its easier to accommodate the water then try to prevent it.. its a smart way to deal with it but the end user had to be diligent to keep the drains clean and clear....