Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Np 246 transfer case question

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2022, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Np 246 transfer case question

My 2006 z71 suburban original transfer case went out. A local mechanic told me all np-246 cases are the same and I bought a nice looking used one from him.

but found that the control motor plug doesn’t fit. My suburban harness has the 8 pin while the new-used transfer case has a 4 pin.

I thought I’d swap control motors but found out the shifting shaft into the case is different.

Can I just swap the gear in the control motor to fit the new shaft??

This is the original in my 06 suburban.

This is the shift style on the used transfer case I bought.

I can’t seem to change gears manually on the oblong shaft case. It feels very “springy”. Should I be able to shift it to at least move the car a few miles by manually shifting? Or does it require constant pressure from the electric
motor to hold the shaft in position??

thanks for any info!!

Old September 30th, 2022, 10:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Case600lp
My 2006 z71 suburban original transfer case went out. A local mechanic told me all np-246 cases are the same and I bought a nice looking used one from him.

but found that the control motor plug doesn’t fit. My suburban harness has the 8 pin while the new-used transfer case has a 4 pin.

I thought I’d swap control motors but found out the shifting shaft into the case is different.

I can’t seem to change gears manually on the oblong shaft case. It feels very “springy”. Should I be able to shift it to at least move the car a few miles by manually shifting? Or does it require constant pressure from the electric

thanks for any info!!

Why not take it back and get the correct unit?
Old September 30th, 2022, 3:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Case600lp

thanks for any info!!
There are two different shift motor for that case, depending I think on the year. As stated, get the correct shift motor Yes try shifting with a crescent wrench while turning the shaft slightly on the TC.
Old September 30th, 2022, 6:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
There are two different shift motor for that case, depending I think on the year. As stated, get the correct shift motor Yes try shifting with a crescent wrench while turning the shaft slightly on the TC.
I like the new one he was given. It's the same as my 98 Chevy K1500. The other looks like it has 12 splines or something. I took mine off to waterproof it. So far, it's still been working fine. Don't know why Chevy changed it. Makes no sense to me.

I hope OP changes the lubricant on it. Axles, TC's and auto/man transmissions are not changed as often as they should be, then the owner spends $2000 bucks or more to swap it out. Go figure!

Last edited by oilcanhenry; September 30th, 2022 at 6:31 PM.