Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Oem backup camera

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2007, 1:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oem backup camera

[]Okay I need some help. I have 2007 Denali. I install the Navi Radio with no problems. My buddy program the radio via Tech 2. Everything works navi, voice activation, and etc. I had him enable the radio for the backup camera. WhenI put the truck in reverse I get the backup screen with obviously no pic because I don't have the backup camera. I purchased the oem backup camera, front harness, camera module,and the rear harness. I'mpiss that I didn't need the front harness because the Denali comeswith the front harnessfor the Navi radio and backup camera. I didnt even have to hookup the vss wire with the navi because the wires are all there. Okay back to the camera, After looking at the rear harness that cost me $200.00 I really don't want to tear the truck apart to install this harness. I would have to remove all the seats and most the the interior panels. The rear harness is basically the whole entire harness inside the vehicle from the front seat to the inside of the tailgate. My question is, since I have a lockpick2 and the oem camera, can I just connect the oem camera to the lockpick 2 without any module or 12volt to 6 volt conversion that I'm confused about? I knowI would have to tap into the positive, negative and I guessing the video + and _. I'm pretty handy I work on cars all the time, but not an expert on electrical, but handy enough to do the install myself. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. NEED SOME INSTRUCTIONS. Thanks again.
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:32 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Oem backup camera

You need to talk to TMW on the forum. He has posted all information on this install. Search through the pages of threads and look for his information. One of the threads is "can you make heads or tails of this", there are other camera threads also. You should find all the info you need on this.
Old January 16th, 2007, 1:29 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. My question really is, if I have a lockpick2 with a oem camera, do I still need to convert from 12volt to 6 volt with a oem camera or can I just hook it up to the lockpick2 and it will work. I would try it but dont want to blow the camera if it's suppose to run on 6 volts.
Old January 16th, 2007, 1:44 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read through this again, this should help. https://chevroletforum.com/m_14877/mpage_5/key_/tm.htm
Old January 16th, 2007, 2:00 AM
tj
CF Junior Member

Yep. Read the thread biglg mentions. Check post # 19. He explained how he did it for $25.[8D]
Old January 16th, 2007, 3:52 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gambianoca

Thanks for the info. My question really is, if I have a lockpick2 with a oem camera, do I still need to convert from 12volt to 6 volt with a oem camera or can I just hook it up to the lockpick2 and it will work. I would try it but dont want to blow the camera if it's suppose to run on 6 volts.
Yes! Most vehicles are 12 volt DC. If you connect that power lead off of the GMLockPick directly to your 6 volt OEM camera, say "Bye-bye" to it just before you do it. You will fry the camera, by giving it double its voltage.
Old January 16th, 2007, 4:32 AM
CF Beginner

Thats what I figured. I'm just confused how you plug the 12 to 6 volt adapter I know one end has the wires, but how did you plug in the other end. I know usually you would plug it in your cig lighter. Did you rip that end apart or did you added another cig adapter in the back of the radio?
Old January 16th, 2007, 4:44 AM
CF Beginner

Also what gauge wire should I use?
Thanks
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM
tj
CF Junior Member

Question for TMW597.....

When using the Lockpick-GM2 video input, do you still need to press the buttons to get the camera to display or will it come on when you put the car in reverse? Let's assume the NAV radio is already programmed to display the camera in reverse.
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:18 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tj

Question for TMW597.....

When using the Lockpick-GM2 video input, do you still need to press the buttons to get the camera to display or will it come on when you put the car in reverse? Let's assume the NAV radio is already programmed to display the camera in reverse.
The GMLockPick functions have nothing to do with the back up camera, so there are no "buttons to get the camera to display". The only thing the GMLockPick does is give you a nice jumper harness that has an RCA plug on it to make it easy for you to plug your back-up camera into. So yes it's going to work, and no buttons need to be pressed.

FYI: if you set your GMLockPick2 for auto, the only time you'll need to press buttons will be when you want to unlock the scrolling features. Everything else, which is in motion video, will work automatically.

Quick Reply: Oem backup camera