Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Oem backup camera

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2007, 12:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oem backup camera

ORIGINAL: gambianoca

Thats what I figured. I'm just confused how you plug the 12 to 6 volt adapter I know one end has the wires, but how did you plug in the other end. I know usually you would plug it in your cig lighter. Did you rip that end apart or did you added another cig adapter in the back of the radio?
Like you said, I cut the wire tip off of the 12v to 6 volt converter, and I bought a regular cigarette lighter plug splitter (male on one end and 2 female on the other which had about 6" of wire on it) and cut off one of the female ends. So now you have a piece that has stripped leads on both ends, with the plugs plugged into each other.

Old January 17th, 2007, 4:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. That was what I was confused about. I just wish I didn't spend all the money on the front and rear harness. But with this info I should hopefully finish the camera. Thanks Again, you've been very helpful, along with all the other members. I got to tell you, you guys know more then those freaking service managers. When I purchased my Denali I didn't have the Navi, I just had the rear entertainment. I went to the dealer after I purchased the truck and the jerk told me I couldn't add the Navi, that it won't work. I told him he was crazy and it could be done. So i read the thread on this website install theNavi myself and had my friend unlock the sound with the tech2and have had no problems at all. Alot of those service managers are just a bunch of non knowing jerks.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 2:40 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: TMW597

ORIGINAL: gambianoca

Thanks for the info. My question really is, if I have a lockpick2 with a oem camera, do I still need to convert from 12volt to 6 volt with a oem camera or can I just hook it up to the lockpick2 and it will work. I would try it but dont want to blow the camera if it's suppose to run on 6 volts.
Yes! Most vehicles are 12 volt DC. If you connect that power lead off of the GMLockPick directly to your 6 volt OEM camera, say "Bye-bye" to it just before you do it. You will fry the camera, by giving it double its voltage.
if You connect 12V strait to the factory camera, nothing will happen. you can drive it like that for ever, and you'll not burn that camera
you may ask, why GM is using 6V, for a complete different purpuse.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 2:48 PM
tj
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: gm_geek

if You connect 12V strait to the factory camera, nothing will happen. you can drive it like that for ever, and you'll not burn that camera
you may ask, why GM is using 6V, for a complete different purpuse.

Just curious...

Do you know who makes the camera that is sold as a GM part? It would be simple to find out the specs if I knew the camera manufacturer.

Second question....what is the purpose of running it at 6 volts? Signal-to-Noise Ratio?

Old February 24th, 2007, 3:13 AM
CF Active Member

don't know who makes that camera,all I can say, is a good quality camera.and all I know is that camera has a voltage regulated power supply, that allow that camera to work in range of 5 to 12 volts
Eclipse did the same thing,in purpuse that everyone will buy their cameras for their Nav radios, so every one thinks that Eclipse camera needs only 5 volts, and same thing, their cameras work 5 to 12 volts range as well.

Signal-to-Noise Ratio hasnothing to do with cameras.
it's for the amplifiers only and it has to do with loudness and messures in "db"(decibels)
[/align]