Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

OEM CD add XM vs. Swap for OEM w/XM

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2007, 11:57 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM CD add XM vs. Swap for OEM w/XM

Wehave a LS w/ the base CD player NO SAT - NO BOSE

Now the wife wants to ADD XM SAT...
Can I purchase an OEM 1CD, 6CD, or the DVD/CD combo that has XM radio and swap my CD player out...? I assume I'll need to add a SAT antenna, but what else am I missing..? Ebay has the units with XM, but I want to be sure of what I am getting into...

What do you think...?

Thank you-
Kevin
Old March 5th, 2007, 1:32 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OEM CD add XM vs. Swap for OEM w/XM

If your Tahoe is a 2007 and your CD Stereo has the "CAT" button on the face then the radio is XM ready and you just need to install a kit (GM Part #17801150) if you want the "just like it came from the factory with XM" feature.
These kits retail for $225 and take about 1-2 hours to install depending on your skill with simple hand tools, thay are 100% plug-and-play, most dealers charge about $100 for the install if you're not up to it.
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

If your Tahoe is a 2007 and your CD Stereo has the "CAT" button on the face then the radio is XM ready and you just need to install a kit (GM Part #17801150) if you want the "just like it came from the factory with XM" feature.
These kits retail for $225 and take about 1-2 hours to install depending on your skill with simple hand tools, thay are 100% plug-and-play, most dealers charge about $100 for the install if you're not up to it.
ZX do u need to install a seperate XM antenna when addingXM to your factory stereo or is it already built into the onstar antenna?
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks ZX..! I got a factory XM Sat reciver from ebay for next to nothing and sounds like it might be worth next tonothin'... My master plan was to get behind the glove box and locate the pre-wire for the XM unit and Sat antenna wire.. Connect & call XM to activate...Next, I will become Mr Goodwrench!!! I guess I am wrong, but I kinda think base wiring would be the same for the tahoes. My X5 is wired for everything to plug into if you didn't get it on order (except that darn $500 set of tow lights)...

The wiring pics are at the bottom borrowed from the iPOD page... http://www.cadillacintegration.com/ipod_07_escalade_photos.html

I can't imagine with the volume of units produced they would make (2) types of antennas (XM & Non-XM)and many wiring harneses for those w/ or w/out XM...

Lets keep this going as I need some help adding XM in the 07 LS
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:43 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no "pre-wire" for XM nor is there an XM antenna lead behind the glove box.

If your Tahoe was not equipped with XM from the factory then the roof antenna is OnStar only, the kit comes with the wire harness, a plastic bracket to mount the tuner, the tuner and the Onstar/XM roof antenna.
Old March 6th, 2007, 1:22 AM
CF Active Member

I am amazed… I guess the XM unit gets power from the radio in some fashion from the included wiring harness in the kit...Well off the local dealer to get the one & onlyGM# 17801150.

Many thanks for your help!!
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:24 PM
CF Active Member

I install those XM packages almost on daily basis. I can share some for what i paid.
PM Me if someone want those