Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

OEM Chrome Rear Bowtie Painted on my 07 Tahoe!

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2007, 12:15 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OEM Chrome Rear Bowtie Painted on my 07 Tahoe!

Well a very generous and nice forum member sent me his removedchrome rear OEM bowtie for me to try to paint around on. It didnt work as good as I would have liked. It has a few flaws when staring at it right up close. This is painted just over the chrome, the gold bowtie had been removed. I tried to tape off a border of chrome so there would remain a chrome border. Very difficult to do! There is no doubt that it would have worked better if the gold bowtie had been left on! I decided to order a new OEM rear bowtie today so I can paint the gold overlay! Tell me what you guys think!

Old January 27th, 2007, 5:44 PM
CF Addict

Default RE: OEM Chrome Rear Bowtie Painted on my 07 Tahoe!

One painted all white! What do you think?

Old January 27th, 2007, 6:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the chrome outline. What are you using to paint? Do you have paint guns? I want to paint my front one. I removed my rear bow tie.
Old January 27th, 2007, 6:43 PM
CF Addict

I am the paint gun, haha! No, i dont have any paint guns! I just use spray cans for the emblems. They turn out decent, slight flaws when you are inches away!

Here is my process. Wash them with dish soap, let dry. Then alcohol them with something that wont leave lint/crap behind! Let dry!

Next I put on a very light coat of adhesion promotor on. Let it dry. Then about 2 more coats slightly heavier allowing each one to dry 100%.

Then I use Duplicolor matching spray paint. Put a very light coat on. Allow to dry. Then my next 2-3 coats are still very light. Usally at least 4 coats before I have all the surface covered completely. Paint as needed just use very light coats and be patient and let it dry.

Next, the clear top coat. Use the exact same process as the paint. However the first coat should be very light to prevent the paint from running! Once you get a coat or two of top clear coat on just put as much on as desired!
Old January 27th, 2007, 7:02 PM
CF Active Member

Cool, where do you get the paint and clear coat from? Does clear come in a spray can as well as the paint? Thanks. Here are a couple of pics of my rear bow tie shaved off. Thanks.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old January 27th, 2007, 7:09 PM
CF Addict

Yes, the clear coat comes in a spray can also.

Go to duplicolor.com. You can search for the paint code you need to match your factory paint! Walmart, autozone, etc will have the paint, adhesion promotor, and clear top coat you need. I got mine from autozone. What is your factory paint code???

I like the shaved rear! What did you do with your rear factory bowtie? I wouldnt mind having it for some more painting experiments! Still got it?

Later,
Landon
Old January 27th, 2007, 7:14 PM
CF Active Member

Sorry, I threw my bow tie away. I dont know the color code. How can I find out the paint code? Thanks.
Old January 27th, 2007, 7:22 PM
CF Addict

If you have your build sheet it will be on there. Or if you look in your glovebox I think it is on a sticker there! Try that and I can see if I can find the duplicolor matching paints.

My paint code is 50U for white. Nevermind, just remembered there was a guy selling a hitch cover for our 2007's on ebay that had it listed. Here is what he has. I would double check this though.
[*][align=center]59U Silver[/align][*][align=center]50U White[/align][*][align=center]41U Black[/align][*][align=center]63U Red[/align][*][align=center]16U Graystone[/align][*][align=center]25U Blue[/align][*][align=center]53U Bronze[/align][*][align=center]26U Blue[/align][*][align=center]51U Gold[/align]
Old January 27th, 2007, 7:29 PM
CF Addict

This is what duplicolor shows for 2006 GM paint codes. My white was the same. You cant search 2007s on there. I forgot I called to double check it! Here is what they have, again check this out because this was a 2006 GM search. But I would guess it would be the same, it was for me.

It wont paste correctly, try this link. http://duplicolor.anthonythomas.com/...atch_maker.cgi

It still wont take you right to it. Just click the link then select 2006/2007 if available, then GM.
Old January 27th, 2007, 7:33 PM
CF Addict

It seems if yours is 59, they dont have a spray for that. They only havetouch up scratch fix brush on type. I would give them a call and see if they have updated anything!

Quick Reply: OEM Chrome Rear Bowtie Painted on my 07 Tahoe!