Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Oil change and gas

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2015 | 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default Oil change and gas

Hi all i got my chevrolet suburban 2015 LT less then a month a go and have a few question.

1st a little info about how the car is going to be used. I drive anywhere form 4k to 6k lot of those miles are city miles.

my 1st question is about Gas i know owner manual says regular gas but i have over a month been testing with E85 and regular and super but people keep telling me i should stick to one so what would you all suggest.

2nd question is about oil changes how offend should i change is oil since i drive so much in my old car changed it every 4k did care much for what brand of oil was used but for this one i want to be more careful since i got this brand new so what kind of oil i should use i know it should 0w-20 but what brand should i use i was thinking Royal Purple or Mobile one extended performance and should i only use full synthetic ? furthermore should what brand of filter should i buy ?

other then putting the right gas and doing the oil changes the right way anything else i should be doing to keep the car running a %100 ?
Old September 5th, 2015 | 11:10 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

The E85 gas will reduce your MPG And you need to see if the cost break is enough to offset that reduction.

With respect to oil changes, I use Mobil 1 and use the oil life monitoring system (OLMS) for when to change it. That system takes into account lots of variables and so far has worked for me. Like you, most of my driving is city miles and I typically get to change the oil about every six to seven thousand miles.
Old September 8th, 2015 | 11:04 AM
CF Addict

I'd run 87. that's what the manual says. As for E85, I do not suggest it. It's been problematic for many people, and I don't believe you'd see any cost savings. combined with the fact that the overall pollution created, to make E85 is worse... and any engine issues from it... I'd avoid it like the plague.

I've run full synthetic in the Tahoe since I bought it, and the OLM gizmo is just fine, but I change it around 20% each time. I also tow w/the vehicle.