Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Oil Change Place Trashed My Car

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2010, 10:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Mobil 1 is good for 12K-15K. I use the OLM which usually gets me about 8,500 mi. Lot of city driving.

If you're changing a 3,500, it's sort of a waste but to each his own.

well, more frequently you change oil - better.

i do oil changes btw 5-6k (royal purple).
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Default yeah, me too

I have used quick lube shops 4 times in my life, had 3 problems. Never again. They don't change oil cheap by hiring ASE mechanics!! I now do my own, or let my dealer do it.
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

I guess this puts the lie to the old Havoline ad where they drained the oil and ran it around a race track for hours w/ no damage to the engine. That oil must have been great stuff.
Old September 8th, 2010, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Guys, I just went by the Chevy dealership and they said that the oil pump failed. This was caused by the oil change people running the engine without any oil in it. I assume they drained the oil and, forgetting that they hadn't refilled it, cranked her up. They then realized their mistake and went back and added oil. But by that time the lack of oil had burned up the oil pump. The oil pump not working then fried the engine.

The tech said that the oil pump could burn up in less than five minutes if its run dry.
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 99fxst99
They don't change oil cheap by hiring ASE mechanics!! I now do my own, or let my dealer do it.
That pretty much sums up my humble opinion on it...you get what you pay for
I take it to the dealer 2x a year for an oil change with mobil-1 and tire rotation, chassis lube, they check all fluids, grease hinges and latches, its about $100 each time, I just learned that the 5th time is free!.
I just can't beat it for the time and convenience and the cost is reasonable if you consider having to keep fluids on hand that are fresh and no waste oil to deal with....

(added) I also go to my dealership for state inspections as most folks do think about the dealer for that and the turn around time is pretty quick...

fish929
I would file a complaint with the local BBB, and document everything
consider getting an attorney to saber rattle a bit to the lube place as it may strongly encourage them to capitulate.
Also consider reporting them to your local attorney generals office for poor business practices...
You put the heat on them and they will find it easier to pay for repairs then to battle the legalities
Do not be an A-hole to the lube place, DO give them the facts and give them an opportunity to correct it...

Last edited by in2pro; September 8th, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:37 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lol

thinks it's funny that everyone comes to me now to fight battles... it's fun, but I have my own...

Maybe I'll skip the masters in business and go get my law degree... I'd love to fight in a courtroom... and often do!
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

fish: Try to get your dealer to document what the tech said about the pump running dry. Will be a big help.
Old September 9th, 2010, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys. 73Shark, I have a written statement from the dealer's techs and the oil change company still denies responsibility. I have a call with the CEO of the company today and if that doesn't solve the problem I'll have to get an attorney involved. I also filed a complaint with both the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General's Consumer Protection division. So hopefully they'll see I'm not just going to walk away.
Old September 9th, 2010, 9:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fish929
So hopefully they'll see I'm not just going to walk away.
i sure wouldnt!..and btw i just got my oil changed at some place like this.. its kind of a no-name place..but its a 10 mins or less kinda thing..i always watch them.. make sure they so it right..plus they try to make a extra $5 to check your filters and fluids and tire pressure..
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Haul them into Small Claims Court. Best $40-$50 you'll ever spend. At minimum, you'll have the satisfaction of hearing them explain their actions to a judge.

On the other hand, these joints usually don't take a heck of a long time to change oil. Why didn't you just sit in the car or wait around the shop until they were done?

Quick Reply: Oil Change Place Trashed My Car