Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Onstar 4G Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2015, 4:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onstar 4G Retrofit

I had our 2012 Suburban Onstar system updated today to 4G, After the install, I asked the service advisor if there was any documentation with the upgrade and there wasn't. Since this upgrade will provide WIFI to the vehicle, I asked if there was a method to display the SSID and password for the WIFI and he said on a retrofit, this information would not be displayed. In understand that on a 2015, it will be displayed on the nav screen.

As the updates are now being rolled out, I thought I would post a note on how it works, since it appears that some dealers may not be aware. The information can be displayed on the vehicle in the Driver information center.

To gain access to the Onstar WIFI module, press the push to talk button on the steering wheel. When the vehicle acknowledges, say "WIFI Settings"

After doing this, it will display the onstar WIFI setting in the DIC (Driver information center) in the main instrument cluster.

I was able to connect to the vehicle and the WIFI connection appeared to work well.

The WIFI module will accept up to 7 devices to connect at one time and provide a coverage area of approximately 50 feet. They provide 3 months or 3 GB of data, complimentary, after signing up for a one year plan. Data plans are available, based upon your requirements. It would be great if there was an unlimited plan, as I am sure, like many of you, it would be nice to stream netflix for the kids while on a road trip. Unfortunately, my brother went through the 3 gb within 45 minutes.

If you do not like the SSID and password that Onstar created, you can ask your Onstar advisor to alter the profile. Also, through the Onstar app, you can alter these settings.

The upgrade took less than an hour to complete.

Last edited by mulmur1; September 23rd, 2015 at 6:28 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 8:06 PM
CF Senior Member

I have it on my 15 burb. I did not renew my plan because the data plan is rediculously priced.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:03 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wifi

"One comment the dealer noted is that the signal strength is not very powerful currently, and as the older satellites are decommissioned, and newer ones introduced, it will improve. "

None of this system is satellite based lol "dealers". (GPS signal is not part of wifi).

Yea, a hotspot you can keep with you, in the car, in a friends car, at a house without wifi, is cheaper and more usable.

There was a company offering 500MB /month free if you bought the $100 hot spot. But my phone turns into a hot spot with one tap... with 4GB a month... so... this whole setup seems a little... unnecessary?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023
Old September 24th, 2015, 6:39 AM
CF Active Member

SabrToothSqrl thank you for reading the 4G post and identifying my comment about satellites. I have since edited out this note in the post, as the post was primarily about 4G and WIFI and appears to have been confusing about Onstar technology.

For the record, Onstar uses both cellular and satellite based systems. The WIFI system, as well as when you speak to an Onstar advisor uses the cellular network to communicate. The GPS receiver uses the global positioning systems from satellites to calculate where the vehicle is located. When a call is placed to Onstar the GPS location of the vehicle is pushed at the beginning of the call. In this case, the dealer service advisor was noting the future improvements in GPS technology, based upon the newer technology in the new satellites.

With regard to whether WIFI technology integrated into a vehicle vs a mobile hotspot, that you described, is a better alternative is an interesting point for discussion.

The integrated systems provide a stronger signal strength than the mobile units, but the current cost of data plans in the integrated systems make it too expensive to justify the data plans for large data usage, such as video streaming services like Netflix. Also, as you noted, a mobile unit provides more flexibility, such as use within other vehicles, other locations etc.

However, as we look to the future, the use of integrated systems provide us with a foundation for improved vehicle safety, which is how Onstar was initially marketed to all of us. The integration of lane departure warning, front and rear parking sensors, rear view cameras, etc are all part of our vehicle safety net. Looking to the future, once a reliable integrated vehicle communication system is in place, in all vehicles, we will see vehicle to vehicle collision avoidance systems start to be introduced. We are already starting to see some of this with automatic braking systems from companies like Volvo and others. Ford presented a system a few years ago where a vehicle to vehicle system was shown to safe lives.

We are definitely a long way off fully autonomous vehicles in our daily lives, although some of us may see the goggle cars, and truly, I hope, I am not around if we are legislated out of driving, but looking to the future, you can see where integrated systems will play a major part in the Automotive industry and our lives.

Hopefully, in the short term, we will see pricing plans for data that will allow a family to continue their Onstar use beyond the 3 month or 3 GB trial, so that they can use the system as it is marketed.

Thanks again for your comments. Forums such as this one provide a great platform for discussing our vehicles and our ideas.
Old September 24th, 2015, 7:19 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mulmur1
Hopefully, in the short term, we will see pricing plans for data that will allow a family to continue their Onstar use beyond the 3 month or 3 GB trial, so that they can use the system as it is marketed.
I wouldn't hold my breath.

OnStar has been around now for 18 years, and their plans are still ridiculously, exorbitantly overpriced. I reluctantly pay the extortion fee for the minimal plan (safe & sound, IIRC) for both my GM vehicles because my kids drive them.

We use our road trips as a way to "detox" from the electronic world. Going back to when my twins were born in 2000, the family road-trip vehicle has always had some kind of video system. They've never been used. Even when the kids were toddlers and we were driving 1200 miles to Florida - no videos. I don't even think I know how to use the system in my '08 Burb. I've never put a DVD into it. The only reason our kids stare at screens now is because they read on their Kindles, instead of bringing piles of books.

ETA: I remember my daughter used it once on a road trip. She was about 15 at the time, and she and her friend wanted to watch the HBO miniseries on John Adams that her friend had just gotten on DVD.

Sorry. I failed at holding my tongue. I wasn't going to comment on this, but I couldn't help it. It's one of my huge pet peeves - and I see it everywhere. As soon as the kids jump in the car, even to be driven to/from school, the mobile idiotbox HAS to go on. And now we can stream Netflix into the car. Yay!

Last edited by intheburbs; September 24th, 2015 at 7:42 AM.
Old September 24th, 2015, 11:15 AM
CF Active Member

Intheburbs, I hear you. Overall, it seems that many of us are more connected to our devices than each other. Families need to make time to talk and learn about is happening in each others lives. It is funny when you see two people in the same room sending texts back and forth to each other, rather than talking. Although, I don't think we will see the return of the Walton family or the Cleavers, I agree that families need to have some down time. My Sister in law will never call my Wife, she will only text. It never makes sense to me, but it is what it is.

The point that I was trying to make is that we have now have access to some technology that can provide owners with a variety on new infotainment or connected options. This may be for personal or business use. It is the beginning of an evolution in automotive vehicle systems that will, one day, provide us with a greater level of safety for operators, passengers and the general public.

I agree, it is expensive, and as with you, I too only subscribe to the basic package and have been a member, since its inception.
Old September 25th, 2015, 9:09 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Agreed

True, the car based hot spot system should provide or at least has the potential to provide a stronger signal.

Are they still using Verizon for these?

Also... one company *cough cough* already put all the hardware needed for self driving in their cars, and is rolling out Auto Steer (adds from auto go/brake) in beta now...
Tesla Rolls Out Improved v7.0 Software Update to Beta Testers - TESLARATI.com
I plan to trade my S in on a X in a few years, which will have autopilot...

My main beef w/OnStar is the emergency response portion. The car contains all the paid for hardware, such that in a wreck, a 911 alert could be auto generated with GPS location and if air bags have been deployed. Sadly GM places profit above all (See recent ignition switch fiasco), and while I do not object to paying for services rendered, this basic service should be part of the vehicle. (As it contains all of the hardware needed, and is paid for at time of purchase). If people want additional features, then yes, charge. (Even though I also think they are way over priced). Yes, I'm aware of the tech they use. (As well as the recent hacks for it) I just find it amusing when dealers try to describe it. My wife's grandfather was all about those satellites, and when he locked his keys in the Yukon in a rural location... his call to OnStar was... less than successful... I knew this in advance, but they didn't.

Also, the Yukon (2015) contains a hot spot... but they can't get it to work... and after 15 years in the IT field, a few jobs, and Director in my current title... I don't have the desire to tell them why... (no cell service).

And yes, it's often nice to get away from the tech. I frequent a close by lake, even took the time to take my much younger sister up, and on a boat, doing 40 MPH in an open lake... what's she doing? Texting. Seriously. God ____ F'n texting?!. Apparently it's not enough to be in the moment or enjoying what you are doing if you aren't also on your iPhone. I had partially hoped that phone would have gone overboard at some point...

Anyway, I'm glad the product fits your needs, I was just introducing alternatives that may prove useful or more cost effective.
Old May 8th, 2017, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Is it possible to get the part number for the kit they used to upgrade your Constar system?
Old May 9th, 2017, 6:16 AM
CF Active Member

The Onstar upgrade to our 2012 Chev Suburban was done on September 22, 2015. The upgrade was done in Canada and the part number supplied on the dealer invoice was 0602058. Looking up this part number, it refers to a labor code. We also had our 2003 Chev Silverado upgraded, and in this case a true part number was noted for the Onstar module.

You may want to contact Onstar and discuss with them. I have listed the Canadian Onstar 2G to 4G information provide from the Onstar website and a link to the Onstar upgrade site.

https://www.onstar.com/ca/en/2gcdma.html
https://www.onstar.com/ca/en/onstar-...e-upgrade.html

Good luck with your upgrade
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you, so its was just the module the changed out on yours?

Quick Reply: Onstar 4G Retrofit