Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Onstar 4G Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2017, 5:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. The module was replaced with an updated version. Onstar phased out their 2G network in Canada and all subscribers that wanted to continue to use the Onstar system were required to upgrade their vehicles with the new modules.

I believe that if you are an AT&T cellular customer, in the USA, you can add your vehicle to your current data plan.

I would suggest that you contact Onstar to discuss your upgrade options and they should be able to work with your local dealer to arrange the upgrade.

Good luck with your upgrade.
Old August 27th, 2019, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Can I ask you how this was upgraded please? Either with equipment or programming? Thank you!
Old August 28th, 2019, 6:51 AM
CF Active Member

Jake,

The upgrade required a new Onstar module to be installed in the vehicle. In the Suburban, the module requires the upper part of the dashboard removed to gain access to the module location. In addition to the module, there is a software update applied. The update was done at our local dealer and it took a while for the tech to perform the service. This update was done in 2015. If and when 5g is rolled out, I assume, Onstar will upgrade their systems again.

After performing the upgrade, we contacted Onstar to make sure that everything worked correctly and it did.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Good luck with your upgrade.

Brad
Old August 28th, 2019, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

THank you very much. If I may ask, about how much did this upgrade cost you?
Old August 29th, 2019, 3:57 PM
CF Active Member

Jake,

The upgrade was free. We had to commit to twelve months of OnStar service. Please contact OnStar and discuss having your vehicle upgraded and I am sure that they will provide you with an upgrade path.

Good luck with your update.