Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Retrofit Projectors 07 Tahoe and Yukon

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2007, 8:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofit Projectors 07 Tahoe and Yukon

So... I'm looking to get some s2000 or TSX projectors and do a retro fit on my 07 Denali. I know a ton of people who have done this on other cars, but can't seem to find anyone that has done them in a new Tahoe, Yukon or Denali. I found some TSX projetors locally, and I'm going to get some shrouds and do this I think. Is anyone else intersted in doing this or thought about it...? If you don't know what I'm talking about, here is a link to an example.

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75144
Old December 4th, 2007, 8:50 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Retrofit Projectors 07 Tahoe and Yukon

Thats pretty sweet! Although rumor has it that the headlight for the new GM models are next to impossible to get unglued, even after a nice bake in the oven. I would be to scared to f*&% up.
Old December 4th, 2007, 1:59 PM
CF Junior Member

That's wrong, I took mine apart on my white one and took out the amber corner. They came apart pretty easy. I've modded my lights on all of the 8 cars I've owned. It just takes some time, and practice. The Yukon ones were by far the hardest, just because getting the front lights off I had to take off the whole bumper. Here, check out these pics from my white one before it was wrecked. Notice the corner has no amber.

Name:  P1010047.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  78.5 KB
Old December 4th, 2007, 2:40 PM
CF Active Member

Patry,
Did you bake the lights, if so how long and how hot?
I am looking to remove the amber from the 07 Tahoe lights, any instruction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
deejayrock
Old December 4th, 2007, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

I would love to know also...I would like to paint the inside white to match the body color.

Old December 4th, 2007, 5:39 PM
CF Active Member

1 - Take out headlight housing and strip off everything that is on it
2 - Pre-heat over at 305 degrees
3 - Place 1 headlight housing at a time on a cookie sheet with cardboard between them both
4 - TURN OFF OVEN and place in the oven (do not open the oven to check - that will delay the process
5 - Leave in the oven for 9 minutes
6 - I recommend mechanic gloves cause it will be a warm/hot and pry the housing apart
7 - After that it's all you
Old December 4th, 2007, 6:25 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks Azs,
The other question I would have is if you were to open the headlight housing and paint the internal part, having HID's would that paint melt, knowing that HID's produce alot of heat? Also, what do you use to seal it back up once you take apart the lens?
Thank you for anybody who can answer.
deejayrock
Old December 4th, 2007, 6:50 PM
CF Junior Member

The instructions are the same as in the link above that the guy did to his scion. From the point after you bake and get the lense off is up to you. It says pretty much everything in detail there on how to get them apart. I did a couple of black housings before on my R32 and my old STI. I used High Temp flat black BBQ grill paint. They don't have that in white, but I know they have hight temp white spray paint at schucks, kragen or whatever it's call in your area. It's made for painting parts on the insides of the engine bay, I used it once on an older chevy. Make sure you don't paint the reflective dome the light trasfers off. I've had HIDs in all my cars too, and never had a problem with anything melting. On my old R32 the lenses were starting to turn a greenish yellow, you could only see at night cause of the heat. I finally went to projectors in that. To seal them I used black waterproof, high temp sealant. I have the tube still, I don't remember if it was silicone or what the base was. I went to home depot and the dude told me what to use. Don't get clear, you can see it and it looks like crap. It dries like a blue clear. I went over it with black and you can't notice it.
Old December 5th, 2007, 12:16 AM
CF Active Member

Hmmm now you've got my wheels turning, I might be doing this in the future......

On your white yukon, after you removed the amber reflector did it appear that something was missing there or did it look like thats how that headlight was made? I've been dying to figure out a way to get rid of that amber reflector and this might be my way out of it but I just don't want my headlights to look akward after I go through all this work to remove them. And one more question, after you do all this is there away that moisture can get inside and produce that "dew/fog" you see in some shady aftermarket headlight kits?

Oh and deejay......I believe that HID's actuallyemit less heat than normal headlight bulbs. (I read that in an article somewhere, so don't quote me if I'm wrong)
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
CF Active Member

txguy,
i know they draw less power, hence why you see them on hybrids, but didn't know that they emit less heat, I have 4 sets of HID's and all of them feel extremely hotter than stock bulbs, i thought that went hand-and-hand with "closest thing to sunlight" stated about HID's.
thanks,
deejayrock

Quick Reply: Retrofit Projectors 07 Tahoe and Yukon