Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

OnStar was activated, now can't reactivate, beep beep beep...

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2012, 1:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OnStar was activated, now can't reactivate, beep beep beep...

Vehicle is a '06 Suburban LTZ. Had OnStar activated for a while, then let it lapse. Tried to reactivate last summer when they had some promotion and couldn't get it. Recently we were talking about getting it going again. Dialing OnStar. Beep...beep...beep...beep...beep. Unable to connect to onStar, try again later. The same symptoms recurred several times in different locations during the week. OnStar technical was unable to contact the car either and said to bring to dealer. I am not going to pay the dealer for this. Well, maybe a small charge but no way am I paying for hours of labor plus a VCIM or who knows what else. To me this is like a cable box. If I am paying a monthly fee to use their equipment, they should fix it when it is broken. I mean if my cable box dies, they replace it or lose a customer. I actually have DirecTV and love it but same idea. Anyway, I read somewhere about disconnecting the VCIM for three minutes then retrying but I have never taken my dash apart. Well, I have taken the trim around the IPC off to get at the radio but I think the VCIM is under the dash cover.

Any tips on this onstar beep beep problem or accessing the VCIM? Does it have a battery that will keep it alive? Will this hurt anything? Any other onstar tips?

Thanks!
Old June 12th, 2012, 1:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Also any info on if the backup battery is located on the VCIM or elsewhere?
Old June 12th, 2012, 1:48 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default battery

one could try removing the ground from the main battery for 20 min... i hear that resets many technical what the hells in these...
Old June 12th, 2012, 2:14 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> DPLarson,

The VCIM may need to be replaced. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for an inspection.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 13th, 2012, 6:57 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Also could be a bad antenna or connection.
Old June 13th, 2012, 7:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be difference between analog and digital Onstar.
Old June 14th, 2012, 4:26 PM
CF Junior Member

As I understand it this is a full digital version, version 6 and had been activated after the digital transition. We just let it expire and now want to reactivate. Called onstar and they can't get it to communicate with them so take it to the dealer is their only answer. I have not tested the antenna or tried a different antenna but I did unplug all four connections for about five minutes and reconnect, still no joy. I need to replace at least one, maybe two, maybe I'll just do all four TPMS sensors anyway so I'll take it in and at least see what they have to say about it.