Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Onstar Handfree calling without onstar service

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2009, 2:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never did cancel it. When I called them up and told them i wanted to cancel because of the cost and the bad economy, they offered to lower the price from 18.95 to 12.95 for one year. thats month to month with no contract. I took them up on the offer. But if they cant match it next year am going to try to disconnect the module, change the esn to a different phone, then after a few weeks change it back by just changing the ESN back to the onstar equipment. I should be able to do this on verizons website with out calling onstar or verizon. The onstar equipment should have the phone number and system id for my area still programmed into the equipment. The only problem that i can see if that if the onstar equipment esn's are set to flag verizon's web activation website to prevent the activation of the equipment unless i get onstar involed. we will see.
Old April 6th, 2009, 9:50 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rruelas
When I called them up and told them i wanted to cancel because of the cost and the bad economy, they offered to lower the price from 18.95 to 12.95 for one year. thats month to month with no contract. I took them up on the offer.
I did the same thing, I was coming up for renewal and told them I wanted to cancel, they gave me there spiel and I told them I would pay no more the $100 a year, they came back and said they could get close they gave me the 12.95 price but also 3 free months so I got 15 mo for 12 mo rate, I paid the full year up front thou, the wife wanted to keep the on-star since we road trip time to time through pretty empty stretches of West Texas.
Old September 10th, 2009, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm going to be that guy that revives an old thread on his first post. I do apologize for that, but at least the thread isn't from 2003 :-P

I recently bought a Z71 Suburban with OnStar and am in complete agreeance with some of you on here. I own that cellphone that's built in and I should be able to call 911 from it if need be or activate it with a carrier of my choosing. Most wireless carriers will provide you with an unlock code when you've satisfied your contract allowing you to take the phone to any compatible carrier that will accept it on their network. OnStar should not have special rights or be allowed to use these unfair tactics on devices in which they do not own.

I'm fine with the OnStar service, I'm fine that they do have something proprietary and I'm not asking to change the button function of the Blue OnStar Button or the Emergency button, what I am saying is the White Dot button is a 100% fully functional CDMA cellphone that should be able to be unlocked/unrestricted to use as the person who owns it so desires.

If you don't believe me try this little trick:

*22800 for cellular A
*22801 for cellular B
*22802 for PCS a
*22803 for PCS b
*22804 for PCS c
*22805 for PCS d
*22806 for PCS e
*22807 for PCS f

If I Digit Dial *228 from the phone in my truck, I reach programming for Verizon Wireless, which is the network it's setup for and is expected. If I dial *22803, I am connected to US Cellular to update my roaming capabilities (PRL) If I dial *22805 I receive and error message that exclusive to Sprint Nextel. This proves that not only 1 this phone is capable of connecting to other networks, but is a fully functional phone, just controlled in an un-traditional way, by voice rather than keypad.

The telephone is 100% capable of functioning on other networks. GM/OnStar should be required to unlock this phone. They're selling telecommunication service and should not be held to different standards than any other Telco.

The issue I am most concerned with is the fact that I know I have fully functional cell phone built into my truck. I also know that *ANY* Landline (activated or not that it's pairs still run to a CO) and any Cellphone (With available service) should be 100% be able to dial and connect with a local PSAP/911 center. If my BlackBerry has no service, I know that I should be able to contact 911 from the phone in my truck weather or not I am paying GM/OnStar.

GM/OnStar is knowingly withholding information about the capabilities of these devices and is misrepresenting the devices thinking they can only be used with OnStar service.

In case some of you don't know the FCC is investigating Wireless Exclusivity. I strongly urge anyone interested in this to contact the FCC regarding General Motors/OnStar using unfair tactics and false advertising of the "Hands free Calling" feature included with GM vehicles. They're tricking consumers into believing that this equipment is locked to their service and they're getting away with the unfair practice.
Old September 10th, 2009, 3:09 PM
CF Addict

Default Truck Phone

Hey! a fellow tech guy?! I was bashing OnCrap for not calling 911 when the airbags go off w/out a paid subscription, even though the truck has the technology to do it for FREE*

I use BT to link my 09 to my iphone...

as far as exclusive handsets, keep in mind if I made a handset... I want to sell as many as I can... GSM can be sold anywhere, while CDMA is mostly US. (Personally I like CDMA more) I think its all around better.

I don't mind OnStar as a service, but service or not it should call 911...

The ford Sync trumps anything from anyone... look at the specs / features on that guy!

*free = I paid for the truck, airbags, wiring, cellphone built into truck and for the $1.00/month 911 fee!!!

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; September 10th, 2009 at 3:11 PM.
Old September 10th, 2009, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Hey! a fellow tech guy?! I was bashing OnCrap for not calling 911 when the airbags go off w/out a paid subscription, even though the truck has the technology to do it for FREE*

I use BT to link my 09 to my iphone...

as far as exclusive handsets, keep in mind if I made a handset... I want to sell as many as I can... GSM can be sold anywhere, while CDMA is mostly US. (Personally I like CDMA more) I think its all around better.

I don't mind OnStar as a service, but service or not it should call 911...

The ford Sync trumps anything from anyone... look at the specs / features on that guy!

*free = I paid for the truck, airbags, wiring, cellphone built into truck and for the $1.00/month 911 fee!!!
That's one of my exact points. They're misleading customers thinking that it can only be used with their service, which is crap. I own that box in my truck which happens to be a cellphone.

Do you think any other wireless carrier would get away with this? I cancel service with Sprint and my phone get's locked out where it does absolutely nothing, but weigh down paper? Yes, it's function is limited due to no service, but it's not completely useless. I can still take it to another CDMA carrier (That will accept/activate it) if I so choose.

I really hope that will gain attention, but I just think it's ridiculous GM is able to get away with this.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:02 PM
CF Addict

Default OnBlackHole

not just a paper weight, it can call 911. and 'free'. so should OnStar.

I had a whole rant on this long ago. I just hope I never have to be in that situation. If I ever am, I'd sue.

I write in ASP, SQL, HTML, ASP.NET, JavaScript, VB6... how hard is

If
AirBag(Discharged) = Yes
Then
Cellphone(Dial) = '911'
Cellphone(Message) = Play
Cellphone(Speakerphone) = ON
End If

man, that was some damn hard programming. I hope I can sue (to win) when my Tahoe has the ABILITY to call 911 in an accident but fails to act because GM wants my money everymonth and not just once. ohh please, rape me constantly for something that costs you nothing.

HEY; I saw your accident, I have my cellphone, but dammit I just can't hit send on my 911 call unless you pay me my $10.99/month...