Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

OnStar IS spying on you and selling your data

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2011, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OnStar IS spying on you and selling your data

Been thinking about it for awhile and this article has convinced me it's time...

GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

Leave it to Government Motors to emulate Big Brother...

Looking to completely disable OnStar on our 2007 Tahoe. As in.. completely.

They have no right to do this, and I have every right to prevent them from doing it.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 7:58 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yea

when my free 6 months is up, i'm removing this crap.

where is it located? we need a how to on ripping this $hit out.

Will the dealers remove the hardware free if we don't want SkyNet stalking us?

Anyone one heard from the useless GM people on the forum? can we see our dealer NOW?

Calling them to disable it is not enough, I want this spyware OUT of my car. I guess the best way to do it would actually be sell the damn thing and go to a company that doesn't make the crap that GM has...

As far as I'm concerned, GM stole $53,000 from me and provided me with a vehicle that's caused nothing but stress and aggravation... anything I can do to spread awareness shall be done!

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; September 22nd, 2011 at 8:01 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
CF Active Member

And you laugh at my aluminum foil hats and body suits.

Well who is laughing now?
Old September 22nd, 2011, 9:25 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
when my free 6 months is up, i'm removing this crap.

where is it located? we need a how to on ripping this $hit out.

Will the dealers remove the hardware free if we don't want SkyNet stalking us?

Anyone one heard from the useless GM people on the forum? can we see our dealer NOW?

Calling them to disable it is not enough, I want this spyware OUT of my car. I guess the best way to do it would actually be sell the damn thing and go to a company that doesn't make the crap that GM has...

As far as I'm concerned, GM stole $53,000 from me and provided me with a vehicle that's caused nothing but stress and aggravation... anything I can do to spread awareness shall be done!
How did you get another free six months after your free year expired?
Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by slw210
And you laugh at my aluminum foil hats and body suits.

Well who is laughing now?
I wear them as well... I don't laugh at someone else's.

These days, the real crazy people are the ones who believe what "the government" and their cronies say.

I do not trust anyone who has the desire or the ability to spy on me in any fashion, for any reason. It's not that I have anything to hide... it's that it's None Of Their ******* Business.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 9:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 73shark
How did you get another free six months after your free year expired?
When my initial courtesy subscription expired, I never heard a further peep from OnStar. I often remarked that they never even tried to retain me as a customer. Subscription services like Sirius XM will do ANYTHING to retain you by offering deeply discounted rates. Then out of the blue in April, I got an email from them offering me a no-strings 6 months free. I contacted them and they reconnected me. They didn't even ask for my credit card, and even gave me 30 anytime minutes on the phone. I just got an email from them the other day informing me that my service is about to run out again. I have no plans to renew with them. I think OnStar is a service that has had its day. It has a couple of useful features like vehice tracking, and the unlock service that would be helpful for a couple of dollars a month. The rest of the offereing aren't worth the fee they charge. If they are in fact "tracking us", using us for traffic flow, and ultimately traffic reports, then perhaps they should pay us!

I look at it this way, There are millions of of vehicles equipped with OnStar. I'm one of the masses they're collecting date from. I seriously doubt they're looking at me as an individual thinking, "Hey, let's see and listen to way Hardin is doing today!" I'm not going to rip the equipment out over the fact that they're trackng my position and speed. The vehicle's event recorder is already tracking pertinent data in the event of a crash. If the insurance company wants to jack you, they'll suck that data from the interface connector shortly after the crash.

I do consider a moral issue though. If OnStar is tracking me, and I get into a crash with air bag deployment, and they're aware of it, shouldn't they be obligated to inform emergency services? I can hear it now, BAM! "Hey, ol Hardin just rolled it on I-95!! Poor bastard......"

Last edited by Hardin Thicke; September 23rd, 2011 at 9:32 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 9:49 AM
CF Addict

Default flyer

I got a flyer in the mail giving me 6 months free, no credit card.

OnStar for all future posts will be known as the DeathStar.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; September 23rd, 2011 at 9:53 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:42 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I read in the comments section GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe? [UPD to unhook onstar, pull the red, and blue wire, red is gps, blue is antenna. I cannot confirm that is correct as I don't have onstar. Perhaps someone can check to see if that works. I'm not into "someone" stalking/tracking me for any reason. This is a scheme (IMO) to sell this data to insurance or law enforcement. With this current administration nothing would surpirse me to have this information mandantory, and required for future to not be able to disable it. Tin foil hats, black choppers?
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Seems like just disconnecting the antenna would be enuf to stop them from collecting data.
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:12 AM
CF Addict

Default yehp

Senator: OnStar invades privacy - Chicago Sun-Times

we don't want to be tracked, and within the month I will provide a write up on removing / uninstalling the DeathStar.

I will also warn anyone I ever meet to avoid GM like the plauge. Friends, Family, even random people I meet on the street. I've been so put off by them and now this, it's the least I can do. Between my Jeep, Sea-doo, and boat friends, it should be easy thanks internet!

Quick Reply: OnStar IS spying on you and selling your data