Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

P0466

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2010, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0466

Good Morning Chevy Riders,

I pulled a P0466 code about a week ago on my 03 Tahoe. Yesterday i replaced the purge and vent valves. My question is do I have to reset the check engine light or does it go away on its own once the problem have been rectified? You replys are greatly appreciated.

Heavy
Old May 14th, 2010, 7:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

might take a few days, some miles, but code should go away. usually takes a scanner with code reset function to rid codes. take to an auto parts store, they should be able to erase.
Old May 14th, 2010, 3:41 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

you can also disconnect the battery to clear the codes....
Old May 14th, 2010, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

I recommend taking it to an auto parts store and use their code reader to zero the code. If you have dual climate control, disconnecting the battery reportedly can lead to disrupting the A/C actuators. Doesn't seem to make since, but I have read a few posts that reported problems with the air temperature and climate control after disconnecting that battery. I would have the codes zeroed. Besides, its free and you don't have to resent any of you digital settings in the vehicle.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it truly fixed the problem the light will go out on its own.
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I do have to agree with marine02xx@yahoo.com, I to think that disconnecting the battery can plausibly cause other anomalies...
having it cleared or as MDTahoe said if really is fixed it will clear on its own...
however you can pickup a code reader/clearer at harbor Freight for less then $40 well worth it and a necessity if you are going to do your own repairs....
Actually I think its worth having even if you don't do you own repairs..
Old May 15th, 2010, 5:16 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess my next step will be replacing the Evap canister. All of the hoses in the system looked to be in good shape. One thing that I haven't checked is the fuse designated for the circuit. I tried looking for it but couldn't find the listing for it. Would anyone happen to know where its located?

Thanks again
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

If you're curious about the circuit, there should be a description of what the fuses control on the fuse panel cover (i.e. a/c, radio, CHMSL, etc.) If in doubt, pull them all and inspect them! However, I would think that if you're receiving a code from the system indicating a leak or solenoid malfunctioning, I doubt there's an issue with the circuit. I think you will fix it by replacing the EVAP vent valve. My thoughts...
Old May 16th, 2010, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks and you are probably right. I replaced the vent valve Thursday but still received the check engine light. Reading in my Haynes manual its said that i would have to reset the light manually or with a code reader, but upon further inspection today I think I may have found the problem. One of the hoses on the EVAP canister was badly crimped. I have taken the hose off and will replace tomorrow. I took some pics to show.
Attached Thumbnails P0466-dsc02377.jpg   P0466-dsc02376.jpg   P0466-dsc02375.jpg   P0466-dsc02374.jpg   P0466-dsc02373.jpg  

Old June 4th, 2010, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Just wanted to provide an update and close this. My CE light went away. I guess replacing the Hose and vent relief valve was the the problem.