Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

P219A Code: Bank 1 Air/Fuel Ratio Imbalance

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2021, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation P219A Code: Bank 1 Air/Fuel Ratio Imbalance

Hello, This is my first post!

I have a 2017 Suburban Premier 4x4. Recently it threw a P219A Code. Vehicle has been running great, not rough, no stalls, no loss of power, no loss in fuel economy. Took it to the dealership to run a diagnostic, and gave me the notes from what they recorded (picture attached). Dealership tried to convince me that the fuel pump is bad and replacing it would "most likely" fix it, but wanted over $1,000.00 dollars to do the job. The diagnosis of a bad fuel pump seemed strange to me because it is not displaying any symptoms of a bad fuel pump. I took the car form the dealership and drove it to another dealership across town for a second opinion. By the time I got to the second dealership the code had cleared itself, and gone away. I still turned it in to the second dealership to have them look it over. Low and behold they came back that nothing is wrong with it and it drives great. I took it from the second dealership and filled it with high quality gasoline and seafoam injector/fuel system cleaner and it has not thrown the code since over 400 miles. It is still pumping gasoline obviously since I am driving on it which leads me to believe the fuel pump is fine.
My Question: What are the notes the first dealer made for the injector readings? Are the numbers noted psi, voltage, air/fuel ratio? He marked one of the reading at "+" which means too rich and one of them as "-" which is too lean so I am curious what the benchmark value is supposed to be?

Injector Balance Readings, what unit are they in and what are they supposed to be?

Old August 13th, 2021, 10:05 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Dirty injectors will show a imbalance.
I always use name brand gas. A few cents cheaper a gallon no name is only saving a mouth full gas. I always put some injector cleaner in at every oil change.
I've never had any injector issues in any vehicle doing this. First shop misdiagnosed it.
Bad pump would show low pressure on a scan tool.

|P219A CHEVROLET Possible Causes

• Leaking or contaminated fuel injectors
  • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
  • Leaking evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve
  • Exhaust or intake air system leaks
  • Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system
  • Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is leaking or the valve is stuck open
  • Ignition system
  • Incorrectly seated engine oil dipstick, tube or oil fill cap
Old August 18th, 2021, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the input! The P219A code returned this morning after being gone for more than a week. Any idea as to why it is only throwing that one code? I have read that it is usually accompanied by additional codes such as exhaust or misfire.
Old June 10th, 2022, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StaffyMcNasty
Thanks for the input! The P219A code returned this morning after being gone for more than a week. Any idea as to why it is only throwing that one code? I have read that it is usually accompanied by additional codes such as exhaust or misfire.
Hi, have you figured out the problem? I have the same code for about a month.
Old August 6th, 2022, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey StaffyMcNasty, to answer your original question, I believe the first 4 rows are injector pressure drop measurements for each of the 8 injectors in psi. The set of numbers below that are calculations done by the tech starting with the sums of the pressure drops, then below that the average pressure drop for each bank. This is followed by the average +20% and average -20% as allowable variation. Here's a video discussing the test and its limitations.

Last edited by Uncle Rico; August 7th, 2022 at 6:29 AM.
Old December 8th, 2022, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Mine gave this code this week just after I filled the gas tank. No other codes.
I've checked the fuel cap, oil cap....
Should I pull the battery negative to try to clear and see if it returns? Don't know how this affects modern vehicles
Old December 8th, 2022, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pulling the battery cable will not reset it. You can reset it with a code reader. It will come back after 2 drive cycles if the problem persists.
Old December 9th, 2022, 7:55 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Code after filling up is a indication of a bad purge valve. Harder starting after a fill up is another indication of a bad purge valve.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Rico (December 9th, 2022)
Old September 28th, 2023, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

2013 Suburban 2500, 6.0 V8: Code 219A showed up this week after I towed with a tank of E15; performed well. Then refilled with another tankful and drove 180 miles of just daily driving. Still no performance problem detected. Last time I saw this code was January before I replaced both exhaust manifold gaskets, spark plugs and ignition wires. Last month when towing it started backfiring and threw code for cylinder 7 misfire. Replacing the ignition coil and plug for C7 fixed that. Also, upon cold start it has a loud tick that disappears after a few minutes (2 to 3).
Does all of this indicate I need to replace the bank A exhaust gasket again? Or, does this sound like a valve problem?