Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Panasonic CY-RC50KU Universal Rear View Camera

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2008, 8:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Panasonic CY-RC50KU Universal Rear View Camera

That should be easy. Ground is no problem and tap into the back-up light circuit wire. I don't know which color wire that one is but ZX would know or use a test light to find it.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 8:29 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone provide some insight on where I can wire my rear view camera up to a good power and ground source in the rear of the vehicle? It can be in the rear hatch, or somewhere on the right side rear interior of the vehicle.

Would the aux outlet on the right rear hatch work? I dont know if it is constant or what not, nor do I know if it needs to be constant. But if someone can provide some insight that would make the install a lot quicker and easier if I can use it.

I used the HVAC power and ground last time and would like to avoid running hthe wires all the way to the dash. Thanks.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 8:36 PM
CF Addict

ORIGINAL: genestoy

That should be easy. Ground is no problem and tap into the back-up light circuit wire. I don't know which color wire that one is but ZX would know or use a test light to find it.
Would they only be hot or turn my camera on when the lights are one? If they would power the camera at all times that woudl work. Just have to find out which wires and if they would power the camera when needed and not just with the lights on.

My thought process for this is that I am going to use Gm_Geeks suggestion of using the partial factory wiring that is behind the front right kick panel. My first install was on a vehicle without factory nav, this one has factory nav so my "RCA" wires should already be behind the right kick panel. I would then connect the positive and negative RCA to the existing wires in the kick panel and run the one RCA to the rear quarter and put the Kenwood box in the rear quarter. This way I would only be running one single wire, the RCA from the kick panel to the rear and I wouldnt have to run any other wires to the front or vice versa.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Landon,
Ideally you want a 12v "ignition on" only power source, the back-up light circuit (which is only on when in reverse day or night) for the camera "trigger" source and the negative ground (which can be the body metal or a ground wire). I don't know about the rear lighter source if it is only powered when the car is running that would be ideal.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
CF Addict

I have the same thought about the 12v lighter source. I hope it would work. I wish ZX would chime in.