Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Urgent - Help Needed on 2010 Tahoe Rear View Camera Option

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2009, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent - Help Needed on 2010 Tahoe Rear View Camera Option

Hi -

In 2 days I will take delivery of a new 2010 Tahoe LT. The vehicle did not come with navigation from the factory. However, the dealership is installing factory navigation now (not the rear-seat DVD stuff though) since I wanted it added (it will come with the full warranty and will look exactly what it would look like if it came fresh from the factory from what I understand).

My issue is the dealership called me today to inform me that there was no rear-view camera with the navigation, that it could not be installed as is. Is this true? I thought the rear-view camera came with the navigation package standard. Note that this vehicle is a base LT Texas Edition with the only other option added being 2nd row captain chairs and the navigation of course. They told me they could add an after-market one but I would have to use the USB port to accomplish it.

I don't know of any other source for information like this to verify what the dealer is telling me aside from you guys. Are they telling the truth?

Thanks!
Old November 19th, 2009, 8:35 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well

i'd like to see the new ones, but I don't think they accept a USB camera...

the backup camera is sweet...

can they add the one that goes in the rear view mirror?

Why didn't you just order it w/the nav from the factory?

Do me one favor when you get it... on your nav disc, see what version you have... I have the 2 disc 5.0, I don't think it's 'for' a tahoe, but it works fine...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; November 19th, 2009 at 8:47 AM.
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:09 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mattld
Hi -

In 2 days I will take delivery of a new 2010 Tahoe LT. The vehicle did not come with navigation from the factory. However, the dealership is installing factory navigation now (not the rear-seat DVD stuff though) since I wanted it added (it will come with the full warranty and will look exactly what it would look like if it came fresh from the factory from what I understand).

My issue is the dealership called me today to inform me that there was no rear-view camera with the navigation, that it could not be installed as is. Is this true? I thought the rear-view camera came with the navigation package standard. Note that this vehicle is a base LT Texas Edition with the only other option added being 2nd row captain chairs and the navigation of course. They told me they could add an after-market one but I would have to use the USB port to accomplish it.

I don't know of any other source for information like this to verify what the dealer is telling me aside from you guys. Are they telling the truth?

Thanks!
Thats absolutely not true. I just added the OEM camera to my 2009 LT Suburban. They didnt have the kit available Part#19171822 so I ordered the applique that comes with the camera and took the camera off.
Attached Thumbnails Urgent - Help Needed on 2010 Tahoe Rear View Camera Option-camera.jpg  
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Ok great, thanks for the info. I'm waiting on them to get back to me on specifically why it can't be installed. I think it's because I told them I wanted to take delivery on Friday and the install would take longer than that. If that's the case then I will try to negotiate a free install at some later date assuming I buy the correct OEM part.

Also, to SabrToothSqrl, I did not order it from the factory as I was given a lead time of 6-8 weeks for the vehicle to be delivered. Another local dealership had one exactly how I wanted ex-navigation. However the dealership told me they install factory units all the time for customers on vehicles that did not come from the factory like that. So hence I went that route.

Also, to be able to write off the sales tax on the vehicle (regardless of whether I itemize or take the standard deduction) I have to take delivery by 12/31/09 and a direct factory order might not make it in that time frame.

If anyone else has further direct knowledge of this issue I'd appreciate the insight. I am going to visit the dealer this afternoon to see the final product (minus the camera). So if I have solid proof the camera can be installed it would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:40 AM
CF Addict

Default Taxes

SNAP! I forgot I can take that deduction as well...

that's a $2,800 deduction!

where's the form? I have to remember to tell my tax guy!
Old November 19th, 2009, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry I don't know the form. I only know that we can take the deduction.

Can anyone else definitively say if the dealership is wrong or not?

Thanks.
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
CF Beginner

So here is the update from the dealer.

The factory navs they have in stock for installation at the dealership are the 2009 versions. And since my Tahoe is a 2010, they are incompatible. The correct 2010 nav systems have not been shipped to dealers independently yet as they are currently being used in builds at the factory.

Nonetheless, the dealership is still telling me that these 2010 factory nav units will not be compatible with a factory rear-view camera system, that these nav units do not have the required inputs for the camera.

This makes no sense to me as these units should be no different from the ones being installed at the factory. Right? The dealership is researching after-market options for me but I think this is all stupid. Does anyone have any inside knowledge of the truth behind this?

Thanks.
Old November 20th, 2009, 7:45 AM
CF Addict

Default well

From what I know (and i'm no expert, just own a 09 LTZ)

When you order just the rear view camera (no sat nav) the reverse image is displayed on the rear view camera (I kinda like this more, feels more natural than looking down) but the screen is smaller.

The 2010 Head unit is I believe Hard drive based for the Navigation portion, with a front USB connector for ipod / other (lol, who the hell owns anything 'other').. so the 2010 is a newer head unit than the 09s

So, I can see that getting a 2010 head unit would be difficult, since they are all slated to be installed on 2010 tahoe's and not sent to dealers... I am having a hell of a time getting a driver's door panel...

I can also see how they might be concerned that a 2009 might not 'bolt in' and 100% work...

I feel for your tax credit idea... but out of a $$$ truck you may just have to wait and order one... the problem is no one has yet done what you are trying to do, it may take months to accomplish and get right.

I for example wanted sat nav, and gave up trying to find anything other than the LTZ with it... I originally wanted the Z71... now I LOVE my LTZ and wouldn't ever go back... the power lift gate, power flippy seats, sat nav, etc... autoride.. power rear lift gate is the greatest option in the world, I use it 2-3x a day!

I wish you luck! Ordering exactly what you want wasn't even available for me..I wanted Sat nav, which was part of some whole sunroof, rear DVD thing... whatever... I have NEVER used the back DVD screen (once to test it, 1st week)... but whatever... what can ya do?

in 6 years I hope to sell this Tahoe to my wife and get an X5...

You could always 'take delivery' and just have them add the sat nav later?
Old November 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM
CF Active Member

Here is the wiring schematic for the 2010 Radio navigation with camera. As you can see it has the same inputs as the 2009.

2010 Chevrolet Chevy Suburban - 4WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Power and Signal Distribution | Wiring Systems and Power Management

<HR>

</TABLE><A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2352224&from=sm#oth1-2352224">Radio X4 (UQS or UVC, except HP2)

<TABLE width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Connector Part Information
  • Harness Type: Instrument Panel (Y91)
  • Harness Type: Instrument Panel Extension (except Y91)
  • OEM Connector: 13568240
  • Service Connector: 13504590
  • Description: 16-Way F Mirco-Pack 64 Series, Sealed (BN)
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Terminal Part Information
  • Terminal/Tray: 15359541/4
  • Core/Insulation Crimp: M/M
  • Release Tool/Test Probe: 15381651-2/J-35616-64B (L-BU)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE width="95%" border=1><A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2352224&from=sm#oth2-2352224">Radio X4 (UQS or UVC, except HP2)

<TBODY><TR><TH align=middle>Pin
</TH><TH align=middle>Wire
</TH><TH align=middle>Circuit
</TH><TH align=middle>Function
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1-2
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>--
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Not Used
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>3
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 D-BU
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>6760
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Center Channel Low Level Audio Signal (UQS)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>4
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 WH
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>6763
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Subwoofer Low Level Audio Signal (UQS)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>5
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.8 D-GN/WH
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>817
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Vehicle Speed Signal (UVC)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle rowSpan=2>6
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 WH
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>7641
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Camera Signal (+) (UVC with Y91)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 PK
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>6972
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Camera Signal (+) (UVC without Y91)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle rowSpan=2>7
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 L-BU
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>7642
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Camera Signal (-) (UVC with Y91)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 L-BU
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>6973
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Camera Signal (-) (UVC without Y91)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>8
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 PU
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>5837
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Amplifier Audio Prompt Signal (+) (UQS)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>9-10
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>11
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 OG
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>6761
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Center Channel Low Level Audio Signal (-) (UQS)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>12
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 PK
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>6762
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Subwoofer Low Level Audio (-) (UQS)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>13
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 BARE
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>6759
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Drain Wire (UQS)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>14
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>15
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 BARE
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>5838
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Drain Wire (UQS)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>16
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.35 GY
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>5836
</TD><TD vAlign=center>Amplifier Audio Prompt Signal (-) (UQS)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
CF Addict

whoa! how did you get access to all that?

u need to log into that site; then run a program that captures the whole thing to your Hard drive then make some CDs!!!

This info should just come w/the car! that's sweet...

I agree, I would think GM would keep the wiring the same with the newer head unit.

Let us all know how you make out, i want to see the 2010 head unit, and upgrade if its nice enough...

Quick Reply: Urgent - Help Needed on 2010 Tahoe Rear View Camera Option