Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Picking the right Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2022, 3:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking the right Oil Pan

Hello, I have a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe 4.8L LS and my stock Engine Oil pan is leaking because of a crack in the oil pan. I am not from the US and I am planning to buy via Amazon. I am choosing between Dorman and APDTY, and I am seeking your advice as both have mostly great reviews and the occasional bad review. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me pick from the two because returning it would be a huge inconvenience. I have tried using both brands on smaller parts and haven't had any issues on them. This is a huge investment because the prices stated in Amazon would be doubled due to shipping that's why I wanted to be sure. Hoping for all your kind help.

Links for the parts.
Dorman 264-135 Engine Oil Pan Compatible with Select Models https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IYQ3VE/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_BZ4V7B9B2TKXZW4TQ8Q1?_en coding=UTF8&psc=1
​​​​​​APDTY 375246 Engine Oil Pan Aluminum Assembly w/Drain Plug Replaces 12579273, 11562588, GMP53A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHTA9JY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_8G215BS445BFQAK2MMX0?_en coding=UTF8&psc=1
Old January 9th, 2022, 7:40 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

One other option to look at is that depending on how bad the damage is to your oil pan is, you can have it welded to repair it. You have to remove it anyway, so cleaning it thoroughly and a good welder can properly repair the one you have.
Old January 9th, 2022, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Hello thank you for your reply, the damage is quite bad because it is cracked on the lip of the oil pan and already went around therefore we think the whole piece might actually fall off anytime and there are multiple not-so-mini cracks already. I have attached the photo here where we used epoxy as a temporary fix so we could at least postpone changing the oil pan until the next oil change. Plus I'm not sure if there are aluminum welding services here in my country that is willing to do jobs like these so we'd prefer having it replaced with a new one.
(I traced roughly where the major crack is)
Old January 9th, 2022, 11:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

I would not be afraid to buy Dorman parts. If you want to be safe you can buy a GM pan, but it will cost a lot more. Check the link.

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-pa...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D
Old January 9th, 2022, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
I would not be afraid to buy Dorman parts. If you want to be safe you can buy a GM pan, but it will cost a lot more. Check the link.

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-pa...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D
Thank you for your advise, I actually wanted to buy a GM pan but I am trying to limit my price range to less than $200 because if I exceed the $200 price, the item would be subject to Import taxes which would skyrocket the costs even more since the total costs would almost triple (pan+shipping+taxes), thus leaving me with choosing between Dorman and APDTY because I have tried using both. And I have been buying parts from Amazon (most from ACDelco and GM) for more than a year now and had no problems with it especially with the shipping since I am not from the US. I have seen cheaper options (A-Premium?) but I am concerned on gambling on using them for the first time since this is a big part.

Again thank you very much for the advice. Please do know that this is greatly appreciated.
Old January 9th, 2022, 4:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A lot of Dorman stuff is made in Communist China.Be careful.
Old September 12th, 2022, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Lifters not pumping up

Ok I have a 2010 Chevy suburban 1500 LT 4wd with the AFM and VVT I recently had a failed lifter cylinder 7 intake it collapsed. When i was driving it the sabilink come on the dash and the check engine light. I also noticed my oil pressure dropped to about 15psi. so i replace all the lifters (included everything for the heads) i replaced oil pump pick up tube with new oring also replaced the VLOM with new screen and still oil pressure will not come up so then i replaced the cam retainer plate and noticed the gasket was gone. I figured i had found the problem but the oil pressure still low after hot idle at about 15 psi. I’ve owned this vehicle for over 10 years and maintained it regularly. At normal operating temp in the past the oil pressure was always at 38/40 psi. And with the truck in motion at about 55 psi. I can’t figure out why my oil pressure isn’t going back to its normal pressure my truck does have 225,000 miles on it. Only thing i haven’t checked is the AFM pressure relief valve in the oil pan. Any help would be appreciated thank you

Last edited by Jesse A; September 12th, 2022 at 7:16 PM.