Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Please Help Me!

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2015, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Me!

Hello, I am new to this forum and hope I'm posting in the right area. So yesterday I bought a new to me 07 z71 4x4 tahoe with 100k. I love it! It's very clean and was well kept by the last owner. Tonight when I started the truck after leaving the store when I accelerated I would get what sounded like a horrible metal on metal chirp. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. But it only did it when I was in drive and on the gas. If I let off it would stop. I pulled over l, turned the truck off and back on after I drove 5 mile and the noise was gone. .. should I be worried? Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Old November 15th, 2015, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Just took it to my mechanic. It's the catalytic converters.... pretty expensive fix.
Old November 16th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never herd of a Converter "chirping" !
Get a second opinion.
Sounds more like you have something rubbing against something it shouldn't.
Old November 16th, 2015, 2:34 PM
CF Active Member

I'm going to make a prediction that your still going to have the chirp after that mechanic rips you off after putting new cats on your Tahoe.
Old November 16th, 2015, 3:55 PM
CF Junior Member

I agree with SWHouston..Get a second opinion!!
Old November 16th, 2015, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got a second opinion and they said it could be a pully in the motor. It would be 1000 to fix. But they recommended to buy a new one for 3500 becsuse it comes with a 100k warranty. I think I'm going to wait it out and see what happens. It has not done it at all today. Both mechanics said it "could be". So if the sound comes back I will bring it in and see if they can get a proper diagnosis.
Old November 17th, 2015, 6:10 PM
CF Active Member

Sounds to me like a bad tensioner pulley? GM tensioners are notoriously high fail items, especially if a mechanic gets to aggressive when replacing the serpentine belt.. Find out if the belt was recently replaced, if so might be a good place to start?
Old November 17th, 2015, 6:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 07Z71tahoe
Thanks for the advice everyone. I got a second opinion and they said it could be a pully in the motor. It would be 1000 to fix. But they recommended to buy a new one for 3500 becsuse it comes with a 100k warranty. I think I'm going to wait it out and see what happens. It has not done it at all today. Both mechanics said it "could be". So if the sound comes back I will bring it in and see if they can get a proper diagnosis.
OMG, the mechanic recommended a new motor based on a noise you heard that went away? Amazing
Old November 17th, 2015, 6:50 PM
CF Active Member

A grand for a pulley? Rock Auto sells the AC Delco one replacement for $49?
Old November 17th, 2015, 11:30 PM
CF Active Member

Mileage is not excessive, I would have someone check the driveshaft for a bad universal joint. They will have a churping noise similiar to what you described. A good mechanic will know what to check, JMO and good luck. Keep us posted.!!!!!!!
David g.