Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

PLEASE HELP TAHOE SHUTS OFF

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2007, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP TAHOE SHUTS OFF

hi everyone ... i have an 01 tahoe ..and it shuts off making turns mainly or when it goes down in idle ,when it slows down . i just made an appt. at the dealer on monday but if i can fix it i will. they had it b4 in february said they cleaned out the mass air sensor .. but it fixd it for a while now its worse than ever ..please help if i get raped at the dealer fine but i at least want to know what to tell them 2 fix thanks
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: PLEASE HELP TAHOE SHUTS OFF

Your best bet is the IAC "idle air control" sensor/motor.. These get gunked up.
The IAC bumps up your idle when 1)its cold, 2)air conditioner gets turned on,including
the DEfrost position 3) when the vehicle is in motion..It's a little motor that opens a valve to let more air in
to control idle speed...when they get carboned up or malfunction your truck dies...This also could be a Vacuum leak, which cancels out the IAC function..(in a way. Don't yell at me Mater mechanics).
Or, something like a clogged fuel filter, not letting enough fuel in a low speeds and the IAC can't open enough to
keep the truck running..

RULE NUMBER ONE ! ALWAYS START WITH THE CHEAPEST POSSIBLE CAUSE. 1=VACUUM LEAK. 2=FUEL FILTER
3=IAC VALVE...HAVE the sparkplugs been checked ? Too big of gap due to wear will cause a kill...Then check back with us..Then take it to the "Stealership for a bendin' over
Old December 21st, 2007, 1:07 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing that you may want to try is go to your local auto parts store and have them connect a scan tool and see if there are any codes stored, then report back to us or have the parts guys decipher the code(s) for you.

Now it would stand to reason that if the dealer has previously cleaned the MAF and then the engine was cured for 10 months that you probably should start there, take a spray can of carb cleaner and clean the center element being careful not to break the filament looking part (it is delicate).
Keep in mind that most of the time when you experience a problem with the MAF it will require replacement but don't replace anything until you have connected a scan tool.

Old December 21st, 2007, 1:19 PM
CF Active Member

Just out of curiosity......since they cleaned your MAS, do you have an air filter on the truck that requires oiling????(K&N)